BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dupp99
Calcite | Level 5

I want the macro to have one parameter which is the path of the text files.

This is what I have now. I have 6 txt with name= NY2012.txt   NY2013.txt   NY2014.txt.....etc. 

%macro data ;

%let list= 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017;

data allData;
delete;  (what should I put here?)
run;

%do i=1 %to 6;
%let currItem = %scan(&list, &i);
filename f&list "/folders/myfolders/NY&list.txt"; (should this be here?) data currentData; x = &currItem; infile f&list  truncover; input value $ 1-20; retain year; if _n_=1 then year=year_1; run; * Keeping adding things to the cumulative data set; data allData; set allData currentData; run; %end; %mend data; %data;

Then I should end up with a dataset for each year and one large dataset that included all the years. How should I fix this? Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Why not use a wildcard * in the filename.  Then use the EOV and FILENAME INFILE statement options to know the data source.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
filename f&list "/folders/myfolders/NY&list.txt";

replace the above with

filename flist "/folders/myfolders/NY*.txt";

No macro needed. This command reads all files NY*.txt at once.

Also, if the variable names are the same (and variable types are the same) in all the NY*.txt files, use PROC APPEND rather than a SET command in a DATA step to append.

--
Paige Miller
dupp99
Calcite | Level 5

I need to do them using the macro. How could I do them using macro?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

NO MACRO IS NEEDED.

One only uses macro coding if it is absolutely necessary; in your case it isn't. @Tom has shown a complete solution in one data step.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@dupp99 wrote:

I need to do them using the macro. How could I do them using macro?

Well, no, as demonstrated above, you do not need a macro. It's just extra complications (as you have found) for no benefit.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

To delete a dataset use PROC DELETE.

proc delete data=alldata; run;

You can use the FILEVAR= option on the INFILE statement to tell SAS to use the value of the named varaible as the name of the file to read.

If your list of values is separated by commas you can use them in a DO statement.  

do year=2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017;

But it also looks like list is just all years from 2012 to 2017.

do year=2012 to 2017;

So putting it together here is how you could do it without any macro logic at all.  But perhaps just a single macro function call to change the space delimited list into a comma delimited list.

%let list= 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017;
%let listcomma=%sysfunc(translate(&list,%str(,),%str( )));

data alldata ;
  do year=&listcomma ;
     length fname $200 ;
     fname = cats("/folders/myfolders/NY",year,".txt");
     infile txt filevar=fname end=eof truncover;
     do while(not eof);
       input value $20. ;
       output;
     end;
  end;
run;
dupp99
Calcite | Level 5

I need to do them using the macro. How could I do them using macro? or make more changes based on the codes I wrote. Thank you!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User
Before you can use a macro to generate code you have to know what code you need to generate. So work on getting code to work for one file. Then you could think about building a macro (if one is needed).
dupp99
Calcite | Level 5

I need to do them using the macro. I think what I wrote is almost right, use needs some small changes. Thank you!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation