BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SB12
Calcite | Level 5

Is there a way to read access database file format in UNIX SAS other than using PC file server.

If i use the libname statement or Proc Import, it gives me either of the following error:

ERROR: The ACCESS engine cannot be found.

ERROR: DBMS type ACCESS not valid for import.

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you have SAS Enterprise Guide, the File->Import Data task can read these files for you and create SAS data sets.  It gets the data into SAS, but not by using a SAS program that you can run within a UNIX session.

The other method is by using ODBC to connect to the MS Access database file, but I don't think that would work from UNIX either -- it relies on the Windows ACE drivers to read the data.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
SB12
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Chris,

I was aware of the Import Wizard in the Enterprise Guide, however i would have to manually do the import and run the remaining part of the program. My Access file is very huge and when i used the import wizard, it almost took me 1 hour to complete the whole process. So, i had to wait for that. I was looking for something that i could just do everything in one process run.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Why don't you want to use a PC Files Server?
Data never sleeps
SB12
Calcite | Level 5

Hi LinusH,

We have pc file server macro created by the developers, but that can be only used to import/export from NAS drive. I dont think i can have the PC file server installed in my desktop or the grid.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you have a macro using the PC File Server, why can't you write your own code to do the same thing? The PC File Server doesn't have to be installed on the same Windows computer as your Access database. It could also be installed on your desktop.

PROC IMPORT DATATABLE='Customers'
     DBMS=ACCESSCS
     OUT=SASCUSTOMERS REPLACE;
     DATABASE='mydrive:\yourAccessdirectory\AnnualFiles.accdb';
     SERVER="yourPCFServer.com";
     PORT=9621;
     DBDSOPTS='READBUFF=30';
RUN;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation