BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pheynix
Calcite | Level 5

I have wrested getting this to work in SAS for many days now.  I am about to give up and write this in a language that can handle looping a through multiple arrays at a time, but I love SAS and would much prefer to find something that works, so I am hoping someone will know how to do this in SAS...

I have 2 datasets,

----File 1  has a unique customer identifier (let's call it "account number") and an amount in each record. 

----File 2  has 2 unique customer identifiers (let's call it "policy number" and "customer number") and an amount in each record.

The twist?  Account number, policy number, and customer number can all be the same number.  All 3 are always 8 characters long.

file 1                              file 2

--------------------------          ------------------------------------------

12345678     4.50           12345678   98765432    4.50

My goal is to know:

1) what records are: a) on both files where the account number on file 1 equals either the policy number or the customer number on file 2. and b) the amounts are equal.

2) what records are: a) on both files where the account number on file 1 equals either the policy number or the customer number on file 2. and b) the amounts do not equal.

3) what records are only on file 1, meaning that the account number doesn't equal either the policy number or the customer number.

4) what records are only on file 2, meaning that neither the policy number or the customer number match the account number on file 1.

This makes match-merge and proc sql a nightmare of spaghetti code to filter out duplicates.  My brain hurts.  Can anyone see a way to do this in SAS?  Thank you in advance....

8 REPLIES 8
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

1) SQL join (accno = policy_no or acc_no = cust_no) and one.amt = two.amt

2) as above, but move the amt join criteria to a case expression in the select statement.

3) as above, but using a left join. Use case expression on a mandatory column in dataset 2 to see if there is a match or not.

4) as above, but using a right join, Or full join, in which you could fulfil all your requirements in one query.

Data never sleeps
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Analyzing, thinking at a SAS datastep.

- You have 4 output files being defined .

- The join: There is a difficult join. accountnumber (a) is to be checked to  policy number/customer number. This looks to be 3 file-join not a 2 file join.  file1 - file2a - file2b

-  3 and 4 are the outer parts  3= file1 and not file2a and not file2b      4= not file 1 and  ( file2a or file2b)

-  1,2 are of the inner part    file1 and ( file2a or file 2b) 

- The  split up on the ammmount being different or equal at the inner part is more easy.

There is a twist possible "the twist":   do you have duplicates?  can both policy number and customer number being get matched?

Any sample data (faked?) for doing some code?

What is the sizing of the data (relative small or big to your sas environment)? 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
pheynix
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you to everyone who has responded!

Yes, policy number and customer number can both get matched.  There could be up to - but no more than - one entry each for both policy number and customer number in file 1, and similarly in file 2 there will be only 1 entry that has either a policy number and customer number that are the same or not the same.  The trick is to produce a match only if the amounts match AND there is a match to either policy number or customer number.

The size of the data in comparison to data size I normally deal with is small - about 18,000 records on file 1 compared to about 2,000 records on file 2. I know already there will be a lot of non-matches coming out of file 1, and I expect this.  From a business perspective, I am more concerned that each record in file 2 has a match, but I also need to know what didn't get matched from file 1.

I am attaching sample data - 2 csv files.

In this sample data, there should be shown in the output from SAS:

1) one record on file 2 (policy number field)  that matches an account number on file 1, and the amounts on each file are equal, so this is a match.  (amount of 21.17, 12345678 44445555).

2) one record on file 1 (account number 44445555) whose customer number happens to be the same as the first example, above, and matches to the customer number from file 2.  This same customer number just got matched (above) for 21.17, but the amount in file 1 is 125.32, so file 1's record should get treated as a mismatch.

3) one record on file 1 that doesn't have a match in file 2 (amount of 54.67, 22223333).  This is a mismatch.

4) one record on file 2 that doesn't have a match in file 1 (amount of 34.98, 11112222  99998888).  This is a mismatch.

5) a case (66667777 for 98.77) where all 3 identifiers are the same and the amounts match.  This is a match.

6) a case (77778888) where all 3 identifiers are the same, but the amounts don't match. This s a mismatch.

Note that on file 1 there will only ever be  up to -  but no more than - 1 entry that could correspond to the policy number on file 1, and likewise with regards to customer number from file 2.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Why don't you explore and try the suggestions first, and then get back to us if you need further assistance or for plain feed-back?

Data never sleeps
DATA WORK.FILE1;
  INFILE CARDS DLM=' ';

ATTRIB
    account        
LENGTH=$8
    account_amount 
LENGTH=8
  ;
  INPUT account account_amount;
DATALINES4;
12345678 4.50
88888888 5.50
;;;;
RUN;

DATA WORK.FILE2;
  INFILE CARDS DLM=' ';

ATTRIB
    policy  
LENGTH=$8
    customer
LENGTH=$8
    amount  
LENGTH=8
  ;
  INPUT policy customer amount;
DATALINES4;
12345678   98765432    4.50
98765432   12345678    4.30
99999999   11111111    4.50
;;;;
RUN;

DATA
  WORK.RECORDS1(
DROP=account_amount)
  WORK.RECORDS2
  WORK.RECORDS4(
DROP=account_amount)
;
  SET WORK.FILE2 END=_done;

RETAIN _one 1 _ks 0;

DROP _one _ks;

IF _N_=1 THEN DO;

IF 0 THEN SET WORK.FILE1;
    DCL Hash _h(DATASET:'WORK.FILE1', KEYSUM: '_ks', SUMINC: '_one');
    _h.defineKey('account');
    _h.defineData('account', 'account_amount');
    _h.defineDone();

DROP account;
  END;

IF _h.Find(KEY:policy) = 0 THEN DO;

IF amount = account_amount THEN

OUTPUT WORK.RECORDS1;
    ELSE

OUTPUT WORK.RECORDS2;
  END; ELSE IF _h.Find(KEY:customer) = 0 THEN DO;

IF amount = account_amount THEN

OUTPUT WORK.RECORDS1;
    ELSE

OUTPUT WORK.RECORDS2;
  END; ELSE

OUTPUT WORK.RECORDS4;

IF _done THEN
    _h.Output(DATASET:
'WORK.RECORDS3(WHERE=(_ks=0))');
RUN;
Ksharp
Super User

The data borrowed above.

DATA WORK.FILE1;
  INFILE CARDS DLM=' '; 
  ATTRIB
    account         LENGTH=$8
    account_amount  LENGTH=8
  ;
  INPUT account account_amount;
DATALINES4; 
12345678 4.50
88888888 5.50
;;;;
RUN; 

DATA WORK.FILE2;
  INFILE CARDS DLM=' '; 
  ATTRIB
    policy   LENGTH=$8
    customer LENGTH=$8
    amount   LENGTH=8
  ;
  INPUT policy customer amount;
DATALINES4; 
12345678   98765432    4.50
98765432   12345678    4.30
99999999   11111111    4.50
;;;;
RUN; 
data file1;
 set file1;
 retain found 0;
run;
data one(drop=found four _account_amount) two(drop=found four _account_amount) three(keep=account account_amount) four(keep=policy customer amount);
 if _n_ eq 1 then do;
  if 0 then set file1;
  declare hash ha1(dataset:'file1');
   ha1.definekey('account', 'account_amount');
   ha1.definedone();

declare hash ha2(dataset:'file1');
  declare hiter hi2('ha2');
   ha2.definekey('account');
   ha2.definedata(all:'y');
   ha2.definedone();
end;
set file2 end=last;
four=1;

account=policy; _account_amount=account_amount; account_amount=amount;
if ha2.check()=0 then do;
  found=1;ha2.replace(); four=0;
  if ha1.check()=0 then output one;
   else do; account_amount=_account_amount;output two;     end;
end;

account=customer; 
if ha2.check()=0 then do;
  found=1;ha2.replace(); four=0;
  if ha1.check()=0 then output one;
   else do; account_amount=_account_amount;output two;     end;
end;

if  four then output four;
if last then do;
 do while(hi2.next()=0)     ;
  if not found then output three;
 end;
end;
run;

Xia Keshan

Message was edited by: xia keshan

pheynix
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you everyone! Grateful. I am going to try these out when I get back to work Wednesday and will report back......

damanaulakh88
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Use this methodology:

data a;
input accnum amount;
datalines;
12345678 4.50
12345679 5.50
12345680 6.50
;
run;

data b;
input plcynum custn amount;
datalines;
12345678 98765432 4.50
12345679 98765431 5.50
12345681 98765432 9.50
;
run;

proc sql;
create table aa as select * from a,b where a.accnum=b.plcynum or a.accnum=b.custn and a.amount=b.amount;
quit;

proc print data=aa;
run;

Output:

Capture.JPG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation