BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pr1
Calcite | Level 5 pr1
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I have a 9 character data field and I need to identify if any 3 of the consecutive characters in that string are the same.  Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks.

Pramodini

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Assuming  you want an exact match on any possible character, here is a way:

data want;

set have;

do i=1 to 7 until (flag=1);

if substr(var, i, 1) = substr(var, i+1, 1) = substr(var, i+2, 1) then flag=1;

end;

run;

Good luck.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16

could you please give an example data

Thanks,
Jag
ballardw
Super User

Does case matter? For example does "aAa" count as the "same character"? Are any of the characters special characters such as punctuation, ()!@#$%^&*-_=+/><\|][{}

Do multiple spaces count?

Astounding
PROC Star

Assuming  you want an exact match on any possible character, here is a way:

data want;

set have;

do i=1 to 7 until (flag=1);

end;

run;

Good luck.

BOBSAS
Calcite | Level 5

Hey. I was getting the correct result but I'm getting a warning too. So I modified a bit and tried but can't figure it out.

Would it be possible for you to tell me why I am getting the below warning and how can I fix it.

Thanks.

data have;

var="Sasexampleee";output;

var="Sasexampplee";output;

var="Sasexammmppl";output;

var="Sasexampl";output;

run;

data want;

set have;

leng=length(var);

do i=1 to leng;

end;

run;

NOTE: Invalid second argument to function SUBSTR at line 27 column 52.

NOTE: Invalid second argument to function SUBSTR at line 27 column 30.

var=Sasexampplee leng=12 i=13 flag=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=2

var=Sasexamplee leng=11 i=12 flag=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=4

NOTE: There were 4 observations read from the data set WORK.HAVE.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

When i = leng in your loop, you look at character position i+2 which is beyond the length of the variable. You can simply stop the loop sooner:

data want;

set have;

leng=length(var) - 2;

do i=1 to leng;

end;

run;

PG

PG
BOBSAS
Calcite | Level 5

Worked well. Thanks.

Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16

Also you may try,

data have;

char='a b b a c c c';

do     i = 1 to 10;

new2=scan(char,i,' ');

output;

end;

run;

data want;

set have;

by notsorted new2;

retain count 0;

if first.new2 then count=1;

else count+1;

if last.new2 and count=3 and new2 ne '';

run;

Thanks,
Jag

Thanks,
Jag
pr1
Calcite | Level 5 pr1
Calcite | Level 5

THANK YOU all!!!  This works.  

Appreciate all the help. 

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Come on, there has to be PRX solution for this Smiley Happy

data test;

infile cards truncover;

input str $ 100.;

flag=prxmatch('m/(\S)\1{2}/o',str)>0;

cards;

adlsfkj888adklfj

alkjahfkldjhklajdhfklj

akljsd******alkdfkj

;

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

Here is an explaination of the regular expression:

(\S)\1{2}

Match the regular expression below and capture its match into backreference number 1 «(\S)»

Match a single character that is a “non-whitespace character” «\S»

Match the same text as most recently matched by capturing group number 1 «\1{2}»

Exactly 2 times «{2}»

The m before the starting delimiter (/) I would say is not relevant here.

The o after the ending delimiter (/) is an optimizer that tells SAS the expression can be held and reused without recompilation throughout the execution of the data step.

See the documentation:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a002295977.htm

Compiling a Perl Regular Expression

If perl-regular-expression is a constant or if it uses the /o option, the Perl regular expression is compiled only once. Successive calls to PRXPARSE will not cause a recompile, but will return the regular-expression-id for the regular expression that was already compiled. This behavior simplifies the code because you do not need to use an initialization block (IF _N_ =1) to initialize Perl regular expressions.

Note:   If you have a Perl regular expression that is a constant, or if the regular expression uses the /o option, then calling PRXFREE to free the memory allocation results in the need to recompile the regular expression the next time that it is called by PRXPARSE.

The compile-once behavior occurs when you use PRXPARSE in a DATA step. For all other uses, the perl-regular-expression is recompiled for each call to PRXPARSE.   [cautionend]

naveen_srini
Quartz | Level 8

Hi A small request and sorry it's off topic, I have noticed you using APPC functions extremely well as opposed many other major contributors. Can you please provide me a link documentation that explains pretty much well in detail for that one too? I'd appreciate it so much. Thanks.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

naveen_srini,

Rather than taking this post off-topic, it would be more prudent to post a new question.  I will gladly answer you to the best that I can, as will others, I'm sure.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Does anyone know if the "compile-once" behavior also occurs in SQL expressions?

Pg

PG
FriedEgg
SAS Employee

PG, it does have a similar behavior in SQL

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 13 likes
  • 9 in conversation