BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pp2014
Fluorite | Level 6

I have character field  Var1 = "00001234" I convert the above value from character to numeric as follows: data a; format Var1_new 11.; Var1 = "00001234"; Var1_New = Var1 *1; run; Above example does convert to numeric but keeps Zeros. Also I want to know how to get rid of padded zeros in case of Character Value. So If  have Var1 = "00001234".  I want Var1 = "1234" Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Reeza
Super User

PLEASE format your code when posting.

pp2014 wrote:

Above example does convert to numeric but keeps Zeros.

It doesn't on my system, and you're using implicit conversion which will leave a note in your log.

Obs       Var1_new      Var1

1            1234    00001234

Use explicit conversion instead, via the input function  To remove leading zeros but retain as a character variable you can either use regular expressions to remove leading zero's or use put/input.

data a1;

format Var1_new 11.;

Var1 = "00001234";

Var1_New = input(var1, 11.);

var1_Char = put(input(var1, 11.), $11. -l);

run;

proc print data=a1;

run;

Obs       Var1_new      Var1      Char

1            1234    00001234    1234

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation