BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
venkatnaveen
Obsidian | Level 7

I was working on linear regression where I have approx 140 variables data set out of which 93 are categorical variable.

I am not able to get how we do factor analysis for these variables.

Im using proc Factor for numerical variables  and categorical variables

For age I have age varlable i want to categorise 1-15 as 1

16-30 as 2,30-rest as 3.
But like this i cannot do  for all 93 categorical variables?

How to approach  to this problem?

2 REPLIES 2
gergely_batho
SAS Employee
Are all those categorical variables ordinal? Perhaps if you have a table, that describes the order of the levels, you could do the recoding by creating a format from the table, then use the format for the recoding.
Factor analysis works best with continuous, normally distributed variables. These new variables are unlikely to be normally distributed.
What is the purpose of your study?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I think you might want to consider performing Partial Least Squares Regression on this data (PROC PLS).

This is, in a certain manner of speaking, similar to Principal Components Regression (not Factor Analysis regression), but has better mathematical properties than Principal Components Regression (and probably better mathematical properties than Factor Analysis regression). PLS has no difficulty handling ordinal or categorical predictor variables.

For age I have age varlable i want to categorise 1-15 as 1 16-30 as 2,30-rest as 3.

Please note that you are creating your own problems by making a continuous variable AGE into a categorical variable, and your life would be so much easier if you treat AGE as a continuous variable. Normally, turning continuous variables into categories is not recommended at all since you are losing information; for example, age 15 and 16 are very close together on a continuous scale but if you create categories, 16 is very different than 15. While I don't know your problem or what types of results you are trying to achieve, in most cases, I wouldn't do this (yes there are exceptions).

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation