BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
IrishGuy
Calcite | Level 5

HI there,

I would like to do an action on a particular cell in Proc Report conditional on the value of other variables on that record.  

Using the generic data below for example I would like weight to show red whenever married=1 or ed=2.

The "married condition" is partially working in that weight is highlighted red for the first record with married=1.  However it doesnt work for the rest of the records and this seems to be down to the fact that married is an order variable and not repeating.  I do require married to be an ordered variable so I wonder how I can make the compute block look at the actual value here.

Secondly the "ed" condition isn't working at all and I can see no reason why.

This is probably down to being relatively new to Proc Report but any help much appreciated!

data base;
set sashelp.bweight  (obs=25);
run;

proc report data = base;
col  married boy smoke weight ed;
define married / order;
define boy / order;
define smoke / order; 
define weight / display;
define ed / display;
compute weight;
  if married=1 then  do;
      call define(_col_,"style","style={background=red}");
  end;
  else if ed=2 then do;
  	      call define(_col_,"style","style={background=red}");
  end;
endcomp;

compute after married;
    line ' ';	
endcomp;
compute after boy;
    line ' ';	
endcomp;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

Since the value of an order variable is only available in the very first row, you need to put the value aside.

The followingcode sample illustrates the basic principle on how to do this.

proc report data=sashelp.class;
  column age name sex _dummy;
  define age / order;
  define name / display;
  define sex / display;
  define _dummy / computed;

compute _dummy / char length=32;
    if missing(age) = 0 then do;
      saveAge = age;
    end;
    _dummy = cats("age=", age, ",saveAge=", saveAge);
  endcomp;
  compute after age;
    line " ";
  endcomp;
run;

I would recommend to add a "dummy" column add the very end to your report. In the compute block of this dummy variable, you have access to all the variables to left in your report.

The dummy varibale does not need to be printed, so simply add the NOPRINT option in the define statement.

Bruno

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

Since the value of an order variable is only available in the very first row, you need to put the value aside.

The followingcode sample illustrates the basic principle on how to do this.

proc report data=sashelp.class;
  column age name sex _dummy;
  define age / order;
  define name / display;
  define sex / display;
  define _dummy / computed;

compute _dummy / char length=32;
    if missing(age) = 0 then do;
      saveAge = age;
    end;
    _dummy = cats("age=", age, ",saveAge=", saveAge);
  endcomp;
  compute after age;
    line " ";
  endcomp;
run;

I would recommend to add a "dummy" column add the very end to your report. In the compute block of this dummy variable, you have access to all the variables to left in your report.

The dummy varibale does not need to be printed, so simply add the NOPRINT option in the define statement.

Bruno

IrishGuy
Calcite | Level 5

That works really welly.  I also hadn't realized that the vars used in the compute block need to be to the left of the computed var.  Cheers!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation