BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sneha_dodle
Fluorite | Level 6
I have a string JOHN that contains 4 characters. I want to delete the 4th letter every time.
example:
JOHN- 4th letter is N. N is deleted.
Now the string is reduced to JOH
JOH- count 3 letters and go back to the beginning and count J as 4th letter. J is deleted.
JO- 4th letter is O. O is deleted.
last remaining letter is J which should be printed as the result.

how do I do this with sas?

Thanks in Advance
7 REPLIES 7
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

data have;
str='JOHN';
run;

data want;
 set have;
 do until(lengthn(str)=1);
    substr(str,lengthn(str),1)=' ';
  output;
 end;
run;
str
JOH
JO
J
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Must it be length of 4 as a start?

Then

data have;
str='JOHNhhk';
run;

data want;
 set have;
 ln=4;
 do until(ln=1);
  substr(str,ln)=' ';
  output;
  ln=lengthn(str);
 end;
run;
proc print noobs;run;

str ln
JOH 4
JO 3
J 2
sneha_dodle
Fluorite | Level 6
Sorry. There’s a mistake in the question. Lets take a longer word. Say DONALD. There are 6 letters. SAS should count the 6th letter in DONALD in each iteration and delete the 6th letter.
DONALD -delete D
DONAL - delete D
ONAL - delete N
OAL - delete L
OA - delete A
Print the result as O
Astounding
PROC Star

It's a bit late for me, so the brain is turning to mush here.  But here's an approach that should work.

If you have a six-letter word, you will always want the second letter.  So ...

Set up an array with 20 elements, all zero.

Apply some numeric algorithm that just escapes me for now.  But after 1 iteration, it is 6 and thus turns the sixth array element to 1.

Then repeat.  On the second iteration, the mystery algorithm generates 1, and thus turns the first array element to 1.

On the third iteration, turn the third array element to 1.

The point is that you don't need to change the character string.  You can work with the positions of the elements, and track which ones have already been changed.  When the number of changed elements is one less than the number of letters in the word, the first zero is the position of the letter that remains.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @sneha_dodle,

Try this:

%let string=DONALD;

data _null_;
c="&string";
p=length(c);
do i=1 to p-1;
  substr(c,mod(p-1,length(c))+1,1)=' ';
  c=compress(c);
  put c;
end;
run;

Edit: Not surprisingly, the sequence of the last remaining positions (of initial strings of length 1, 2, 3, ...) can be found in the OEIS: http://oeis.org/A128982.

Astounding
PROC Star

@FreelanceReinh ,

Wow.  Didn't know there was such a thing as OEIS.  You not only knew about it, but knew how to find the right problem.

Maybe this is my fault for looking at this before the morning cup of coffee, but is that formula correct?  Isn't it looking for the 7th character on the first iteration?

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Actually, I first wrote my program and then suspected that there might be a corresponding entry in the OEIS -- given that the resulting sequence of integers is both non-trivial and easily defined.

On the first iteration in the example the character at position mod(p-1,length(c))+1=mod(6-1,6)+1=5+1=6 is replaced with a blank, as it should.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation