BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mdxolly
Calcite | Level 5

I need to import a MS Access database that has 60 tables with varying field names and lengths. How can I import all 60 tables into separate datasets into SAS EG? As the title states, I don't have SAS/ACCESS engine installed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What OS does your SAS server run on? If the answer is Unix, then I think you are going to need the SAS PC Files Server installed and running either on your PC or on a remote Windows server. I suspect the ACCESS engine will only run on Windows. This will then allow you to use the PCFILES engine as you tried in an earlier test. You can download the software here: https://support.sas.com/downloads/browse.htm?fil=&cat=63

This link explains more: https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=acpcref&docsetTarget=p1ejcl3x1j6su3n1r6ihin8y36mv.htm&docset...

If you aren't familiar with any of this, then I'd suggest you open a Tech Support track and get them to walk you through what is required. It will be a whole lot quicker that way as they are the experts in this area.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Are you referring to SAS/ACCESS to PC Files? If you don't have this do you have SAS/ACCESS to ODBC? Failing both of those exporting and importing CSV files would be one of the few options left and a very labour-intensive and tedious one at that.

Mdxolly
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, SAS/ACCESS to PC Files. How do I check if I have SAS/ACCESS to ODBC in SAS EG? 

When I run this:

libname MYDB access "path/access_db_name.accdb";

I get this:

ERROR: The ACCESS engine cannot be found.
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

ballardw
Super User

See if this works:

libname MYDB pcfiles path= "path/access_db_name.accdb" type=Access;

If this works you should at least see some data sets in the library but may have some issues around names of tables and variables.

You may need to place

options validvarname=any validmemname=any;

before the libname to deal with tables or variable with names like "This name has blanks" or "This has #special characters".

Mdxolly
Calcite | Level 5

I'm getting the following errors when I try this:

32 options validvarname=any validmemname=any;

ERROR 14-12: Invalid option value any for SAS option VALIDMEMNAME.

33 libname MYDB pcfiles path= "path/access_db_name.accdb" type=Access;
ERROR: The SERVER= option is required for establishing a connection through the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files.

I didn't actually put "path/access_db_name.accdb" but had the filepath to my MS Access database.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Run the SETINIT and PRODUCT_STATUS procedures to see what SAS products are licensed and installed respectively.

proc setinit;
run;

proc product_status;
run;
Mdxolly
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. So it appears I do have interface to PC Files and ODBC available.

---SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files 31OCT2020 (CPU A)
---SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC 31OCT2020 (CPU A)

BUT....

when I run the following, I get an error:

26 libname MYLIBREF access "path/access_db_name.accdb";
ERROR: The ACCESS engine cannot be found.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

What OS does your SAS server run on? If the answer is Unix, then I think you are going to need the SAS PC Files Server installed and running either on your PC or on a remote Windows server. I suspect the ACCESS engine will only run on Windows. This will then allow you to use the PCFILES engine as you tried in an earlier test. You can download the software here: https://support.sas.com/downloads/browse.htm?fil=&cat=63

This link explains more: https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=acpcref&docsetTarget=p1ejcl3x1j6su3n1r6ihin8y36mv.htm&docset...

If you aren't familiar with any of this, then I'd suggest you open a Tech Support track and get them to walk you through what is required. It will be a whole lot quicker that way as they are the experts in this area.

DWilson
Pyrite | Level 9

If your IT department is slow to set things up and assuming you can read the access files from your PC and are somewhat comfortable with R, you can:

1) install R on your PC

2) install the R RODBC package

3) Write R code to read the access files and save to a format that SAS can read (try Haven package write_SAS() or write.foreign which creates .CSV files and the SAS code to read them: https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/foreign/versions/0.8-74/topics/write.foreign)

If you have SAS installed on a server and you happen to have R installed on the same server, you could see if you can get the RODBC package installed and then in step 3 you could write SAS IML code to call R, read the access data with the RODBC package, and then have IML copy the R object with your access data to a SAS data set; obviating the need to create text files and such.

PCFiles would probably be simpler to do. I only suggest the above if time is essential.

We ended up purchasing a 3rd party ODBC driver to allow us to read and write access using SAS proc SQL. I wish SAS would provide their own native support for MS access like they do with MS excel (sort of.)

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation