BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
xliu1
Quartz | Level 8

I created a sas dataset which has 9347777 rows and 37 columns and want to save it in a permanent library on my organization's network drive so that I can use it later in other programs. Here is the sas code. Looks like it takes forever to run. Is there a more efficient way to do this? 

data dl.course_enrl_detail;
set course_enrl_detail;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@xliu1 wrote:

I created a sas dataset which has 9347777 rows and 37 columns and want to save it in a permanent library on my organization's network drive so that I can use it later in other programs. Here is the sas code. Looks like it takes forever to run. Is there a more efficient way to do this? 

set course_enrl_detail;
run;

The data step also processes each record as if you are going to do some data manipulation.

If the idea is just to copy the data you might try either Proc Copy or Proc Datasets with the Copy option.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you are writing this from your PC to a network drive then you will be limited by the network connection speed.

Compressing the dataset so it takes up less space may help:

data dl.course_enrl_detail (compress = yes);
set course_enrl_detail;
run;
ballardw
Super User

@xliu1 wrote:

set course_enrl_detail;
run;

The data step also processes each record as if you are going to do some data manipulation.

If the idea is just to copy the data you might try either Proc Copy or Proc Datasets with the Copy option.

xliu1
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for suggestion! I tried proc copy with compress=yes statement and save the data on my desktop, it take 27 seconds.

libname DL1 'C:\DISTANCE LEARNING DASHBOARD';
OPTIONS COMPRESS=YES;
PROC COPY IN=WORK OUT=DL1 NOCLONE;
SELECT COURSE_ENRL_DETAIL;
RUN; 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation