BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
[Sorry for double post, not sure if best here or in Data Step forum]

Hello, I have a data set with two sorts of “attributes” (probably not using term in strict database sense).

I have a perminant attribute of the unique identifier (for example gender). I have multiple records per identifier which describe a transaction (like an item purchased).

“ID” – unique identifier
“Sex” – gender of ID person
“Product” – what was purchased (beer, diapers, pencils)
Purch_dt – date of purchase

1234 F beer Nov 1, 2008
1234 F diapers Nov 24, 2008
5678 M beer Nov 17, 2008
5678 M pencils Nov 30, 2008

I want to
- count the number of people who purchased both beer and diapers
- count the number of people who purchased beer and no diapers
- determine the number of women who purchased beer and diapers
- for those who purchased both, determine the time lag between the purchase of beer and diapers

I have not written successful code but had two different thoughts (but am willing to do anything that will work).

I tried proc SQL “group by ID” but my instinct in English would to say … by ID where Product = beer and Product = diapers but I do not believe this is correct.

I tried a do loop by ID and flag if Product = beer and if Product = diapers then do, by unique IDs count flags but this was cumbersome and while the code did something I am not sure it was correct.
1 REPLY 1
Eva
Quartz | Level 8 Eva
Quartz | Level 8
Dear Melissa,

try this:

data work.myfile;
set work.originalfile;
if product = beer then beer = 1;
else beer = 0;
if product = diapers then diapers = 1;
else diapers = 0;
if product = pencils then pencils = 1;
else pencils = 0;
run;

proc summary nway missing;
var beer diapers pencils;
class id;
run;

Best regards,
Eva

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation