BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
art297
Opal | Level 21

DN: Have never run it before, but will now.

Thanks again!

art297
Opal | Level 21

DN: With the debugger I can see what is happening, but still don't fully understand the logic.  I only used the watch and go commands.  Should I be including others?

For anyone else, like me (who has never played with the debugger), a step-by-step explanation can be found at:

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi25/25/btu/25p052.pdf

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

It may be that watching with the debugger may not let you see within the UPDATE statement.

I think the key piece of logic is that when an OBS is read from the transaction data any variable that is missing "RETAINs" its value from the last iteration of the data step loop.  Observations with no missing variables pass throught unchanged and become the next LOCF value if the next observation has variables(s) with missing values.

art297
Opal | Level 21

DN: Much appreciated!  Is the approach documented anywhere or was this just another of your many insights?

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Me insight are you joking.

I'm sure I must have seen it before but I can't remember.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

With DN's approach, you should be fine.  If you still want to play with the approach initiated by Art, maybe you need to define the new variable as character early in your code:

data want (drop=Monthly_Income

rename=(Locf=Monthly_Income));

Length locf $20;

Locf = coalesceC(Monthly_Income,locf);

Try it and let us know if it works.

Haikuo

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

This works with character or numeric data.  It carries all missing variables forward.

data student;
   do student=1,2;

do month=1 to 10;

input CVAR $ @;
         output;

end;

end;

stop;

cards;
100 . 110 110 110 . 110 120 120 120
100 .   . 110 110 . 110 120 .   120
;;;;
   run;
data studentLOCF;
   update student(obs=0) student;
   by student;
   output;

run;
Ksharp
Super User

I think the code can be shorter.

data student;
   do student=1,2;
      do month=1 to 10;
         input CVAR $ @;
         output;
         end;
      end;
   stop;
   cards;
100 . 110 110 110 . 110 120 120 120
100 .   . 110 110 . 110 120 .   120
;;;;
   run;
data studentLOCF(drop=_:);
   set student(rename=(cvar=_cvar));
   retain cvar ;
   if not missing(_cvar) or student ne lag(student) then cvar=_cvar;
   run;

Ksharp

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

It would be difficult to make the code shorter and you have not accomplished that, just the opposite in fact.  Your approach will need an IF statement for each variable that needs to be LOCFed.

art297
Opal | Level 21

DN: Me thinks that KSharp's method will run slightly faster, regardless of the number of variables involved, but that slight saving will be immediately lost given the extra coding time involved and the increased risk of introducing error with all of that extra coding.

art297
Opal | Level 21

I had tested it before posting my response.  I tested it on 1,2 3,4,5 and 6 variables, with 1,000,000 records.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation