BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
George3
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello all, 

I am working on a piece of a process that will use the numerical values of two variables.  I want to use these two values as information for a larger process that will occur in a macro.  Each of the variables needs to be by themselves.  Working through an example will help. Take the following data:  

DATA ex3;
 INPUT variable1 variable2;
CARDS;
5 7
;
RUN;

The value of variable1 is 5 and the value of variable2 is 7. I want to be able to have SAS extract 5 and have it represented as "c" then extract 7 and have it represented as "d".  This way I can use the "c" and "d" as values in my macro as follows: 

%macro call_bunch;
%local c d ;

model &c &d,  ****** the model command is part of a different macro process ********;

%end;
%mend;
%call_bunch

Any suggestions on how I do this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
George3
Obsidian | Level 7

Tom, 

This looks great, but your note about this needs to be part of the macro or in a macro that is called has me a bit puzzled, not by its logic but by its structure.  I am puzzled because the data for the larger macro "bunch" will obviously be different from the data for c and d.  

Are you meaning the following: 

%macro call_bunch;
%local c d  ;

data _null_;

set ex3;

call symputx('c',variable1);
  call symputx('d
',variable2);
run;

model &c &d,

%end;
%mend;
%call_bunch;

Is this what are meaning? If this is the case, wouldn't the system stop because it wouldn't know which data to use.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can use CALL SYMPUTX() function to store the value into macro variables.

data _null_;
  set ex3;
  call symputx('d',variable2);
run;

Note that since you made C and D local macro variables to the macro CALL_BUNCH you would need to run this step while CALL_BUNCH is running.  So either as part of the macro or in a macro that is called by CALL_BUNCH.

George3
Obsidian | Level 7

Tom, 

This looks great, but your note about this needs to be part of the macro or in a macro that is called has me a bit puzzled, not by its logic but by its structure.  I am puzzled because the data for the larger macro "bunch" will obviously be different from the data for c and d.  

Are you meaning the following: 

%macro call_bunch;
%local c d  ;

data _null_;

set ex3;

call symputx('d
',variable2);
run;

model &c &d,

%end;
%mend;
%call_bunch;

Is this what are meaning? If this is the case, wouldn't the system stop because it wouldn't know which data to use.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Your macro as currently constructed doesn't make any sense. It generates a DATA step and then a free-floating MODEL statement. You cannot have that statement outside of a PROC step. Put you couldn't call the macro in the middle of PROC step since the start of the DAT step would end the definition of the PROC step.

Not sure why you have the macro at all.

data _null_;
  set ex3;
  call symputx('d',variable2);
run;

proc glm data=xxx ;
  model &c &d, 
run;

You need to explain what your real problem is to get a real solution.

George3
Obsidian | Level 7

This does help.  The macro is designed to perform the analysis and it is essential to this.  I will try this and see what happens.  Thank you for the help.  

George3
Obsidian | Level 7

Tom, 

This worked beautifully.  I get it now!  Thank you. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation