BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
wolfpmd3
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everyone,

I am working on a Macro which is almost ready. 

I am working from EG 7.15

The last component of it is counting the number of missing values for each variable and then dividing it by the number of observations to obtain the % if missing value for each Variable across n number of tables, and the it will output conditionally based on some other criteria after merging it to a another table.

The big issue that I don't seem to be able to get around is that it is giving me an error as shown in the following pictures:

code1.PNG

error1.PNG

error_full.PNG

What is curious to me is the fact that whenever I delete the create table statement  the Queries solve and produce the output shown below without any errors (there are 9 results, because there are 9 variables in this particular case). Of course this means that the syntax and everything else is right and the "error" must be somewhere in the create table statement.

code2.PNG

result1.PNG

Also, please note that the code is part of a loop that counts the number of variables from a list, then extracts the name of each variable from that list and repeats the process for all of them. 

Any ideas on why adding the "create table <name> as" statement generates this error?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers,

Fernando

code2.PNGresult1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@wolfpmd3 wrote:

@novinosrin wrote:

Please post the whole code and the log for somebody to look into it and help

Here is the loop in which this code is embedde:

%DO j=1 %TO &num;

%IF 0 EQ %sysevalf(%superq(lvar_ds&j)=, boolean) %THEN %DO;     

%let nobs_ds&j=%scan(&nobs_list,%eval(&j+1));

%let count_lvar_ds&j=%sysfunc(countw("&&lvar_ds&j."));

%DO i=1 %TO &&count_lvar_ds&j.;

%let varmiss=%qscan(%quote(&&lvar_ds&j), &i);

%let nobs_ref=%scan(&nobs_list,1);

PROC SQL;

create table missing_&varmiss. as

select count(*) as Missing_count

from &ref.

where &varmiss is missing;

QUIT;

%END;

%END;

%END;

NOTE: when the text in RED is deleted there are no errors and PROC SQL produces the results shown above, only issue I cannot create the tables

It appears that VARMISS macro variable is supposed to be the name of a variable. Are you using %QUOTE in the following line of code because you have some name literal variables in your data set such as " name"n which characters that actually need quoting?

I suspect that your VARMISS may have a leading blank in one or more variables as I get the same error with this code:

50   proc sql;
51      create table missing_ var as
                              ---
ERROR 78-322: Expecting a '.'.

ERROR 202-322: The option or parameter is not recognized and will be ignored.

52      select *
53      from sashelp.class
54      ;
55   quit;

Since there is something following the table that is not recognized as an SQL instruction it is assuming that you wanted a libname.dataset construct (not much variety really available with CREATE TABLE in that position).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

"Also, please note that the code is part of a loop that counts the number of variables from a list, then extracts the name of each variable from that list and repeats the process for all of them. "

wolfpmd3
Fluorite | Level 6

@novinosrin wrote:

%DO j=1 %TO &num;

PROC SQL;

from &ref.

QUIT;

%END;

%END;

%END;

NOTE: when the text in RED is deleted there are no errors and PROC SQL produces the results shown above, only issue I cannot create the tables

Amir
PROC Star

Hi,

Try coding one example of what you think one of the fully resolved proc sql steps should look like and then try running it in isolation in SAS.

Are you sure you have write access to where you are trying to create the table? I know it looks like a work table, but just in case the user option has been set to other than work.

Regards,

Amir.

wolfpmd3
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, it is writing the tables to WORK.

I have split the code for that reason, all the macro variables solve to what they are supposed to. 

I am almost certain it has to do with the table name, but what?

Cheers,

Fernando

ballardw
Super User

@wolfpmd3 wrote:

@novinosrin wrote:

%DO j=1 %TO &num;

PROC SQL;

from &ref.

QUIT;

%END;

%END;

%END;

It appears that VARMISS macro variable is supposed to be the name of a variable. Are you using %QUOTE in the following line of code because you have some name literal variables in your data set such as " name"n which characters that actually need quoting?

I suspect that your VARMISS may have a leading blank in one or more variables as I get the same error with this code:

50   proc sql;
51      create table missing_ var as
                              ---
ERROR 78-322: Expecting a '.'.

ERROR 202-322: The option or parameter is not recognized and will be ignored.

52      select *
53      from sashelp.class
54      ;
55   quit;

Since there is something following the table that is not recognized as an SQL instruction it is assuming that you wanted a libname.dataset construct (not much variety really available with CREATE TABLE in that position).

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@ballardw aesthetically pleasing to read your diligent post. Class act!

wolfpmd3
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks a lot!

I had completely overseen the fact that there was a leading blank in that when &varmiss solved. (Should have been using SYMBOLGEN)

@ballardw wrote:

Answering your question: I had to use %quote because otherwise %qscan wouldn't work sinceit would have too many argument. (&&lvar_ds&j --> is a list of variables names that I need to create each of these tables for)

I just fixed it and worked perfectly fine --> Stripped leading and trailing blanks away and the issue is gone

Thanks a lot for your help!

Fernando

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi,

I bet your not giving valid name for creating a table. Set OPTIONS SYMBOLGEN; and check the values for &varmiss. Leading space or some other invalid characters might be causing the issue.

Also, did you try PROC MEANS or PROC FREQ procedures to find missing values for variables. If not check here.

Thanks,
Suryakiran
wolfpmd3
Fluorite | Level 6

@SuryaKiran wrote:

Hi,

I bet your not giving valid name for creating a table. Set OPTIONS SYMBOLGEN; and check the values for &varmiss. Leading space or some other invalid characters might be causing the issue.

Also, did you try PROC MEANS or PROC FREQ procedures to find missing values for variables. If not check here.

I checked the post you mention, but since you need to create formats in order to be able to count missing values for char variables I decided to do it this way. Because this my method doesn't require any formatting and then extracting the info from the PROC FREQ output I decided to do it this way.

I will post the result later this week since counting calculating Missing percentage and counts seems a bit problematic (for char variables that is).

Yes, it was a leading blank that was causing this issue, I huge oversight on my end...

Thanks for the help

Best,

Fernando

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation