BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RMC12
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

I'm trying to run proc surveymeans on a very large data set (14 million observations), and keep getting the following error messages:

NOTE: Only one cluster in a stratum for variable(s) ReadmitCHG. The estimate of variance for ReadmitCHG will omit this stratum.
ERROR: PROC SURVEYMEANS was terminated prematurely due to a memory shortage while computing quantiles. Increasing MEMSIZE and/or REALMEMSIZE may
allow normal processing to complete.
NOTE: Processing on disk occurred during summarization. Peak disk usage was approximately 62 Mbytes. Adjusting MEMSIZE and/or REALMEMSIZE may
improve performance.
ERROR: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of insufficient memory.
NOTE: PROCEDURE SURVEYMEANS used (Total process time):
real time 1:47.23
cpu time 1:46.69

Here is the code I have been using:

proc surveymeans data=index_events missing sumwgt sum mean;
strata NRD_STRATUM;
cluster HOSP_NRD;
weight DISCWT;
domain IndexEvent IndexEvent*AgeGroup;
var Readmit TOTCHG ReadmitCHG totalreadmissions;
ods output domain=domain;
run;

Does anybody have any advice on fixing the memory issue? I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

You have to set it in the Config file or on startup.

I think there are instructions here that make sense:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37038194/increasing-sas-memory-memsize

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Have you tried increasing MEMSIZE and REALMEMSIZE as the error indicates?

RMC12
Calcite | Level 5

I have attempted to but I'm not sure if I am doing it properly. Any advice on how to increase memsize and realmemsize would be great.

Reeza
Super User

You have to set it in the Config file or on startup.

I think there are instructions here that make sense:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37038194/increasing-sas-memory-memsize

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

I's not mentioned in the link but you can set memsize and realmemsize to the parameter MAX which will means SAS will use all the memory it can get - whether that's a good idea depends on your environment and how you're using SAS....

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation