BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
redrover99
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I had dates in the format: DD/MM/YYYY

I wanted these to be represented as numbers. So I did:

data have; set have;

date2= date*1;

run;

This command produced large negative numbers. No decipherable ddmmyyy was found (im looking for numeric dates without the commars).

I then, performed the following command:

data have;   set have;   format date ddmmyyn8.; run

This produced a pleasing result in the form of ddmmyyyy.

But however SAS still didnt recognise my date as numeric. When I multipled by 1, I still received large negative numbers. How do I solve this problem?

I need ddmmyyyy to be in number form in order fo this command to work:

data have; set have;

IF DATE>0 then MMYY = substr(DATE, 4, 7);

RUN;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

How about combine code from Ksharp and Alpay?

proc import datafile='c:\temp\test.dbf' out=have dbms=dbf replace;run;

data want;

set have;

newdate = INPUT(PUT(date,ddmmyyn8.),best12.);

run;

Haikuo

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
shivas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

If you have posted some sample data it would have helped...

data have;

input date $;

cards;

;

run;

data want;

set have;

newdate=input(date,ddmmyy8.);

format newdate date9.;

run;

Thanks,

Shiva

redrover99
Calcite | Level 5

hmm i follwed your codes but didnt seem to work. I received an error message.

If you could help me identify what im doing wrong that would be rlly helpful. Here is my data:

Ksharp
Super User

Your file is dbf file and the date variable has already been numberic after importing SAS and its formate is not DDMMYY but MMDDYY.

proc import datafile='c:\test.dbf' out=have dbms=dbf replace;run;
data want;
 set have;
 mmyy=put(date,mmyys.);
run;

Ksharp

redrover99
Calcite | Level 5

Hey thanks for your input.

BUT In my dataset would like dates to be numbers and without the '/'

To illustrate: if the date was 31/12/2011 I would like it to be 31122011.

And if I multiply 31122011 by 1 it should still be 31122011.   Not a large negative number (I commonly find I can't plus or minus numbers to the date formats)

shivas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I dont understand the logic why you want the date in this format 31122011 .Any how you can just apply the format like this..SAS internally stores date values in numbers itself.

data have;

set dbf;

date1=date*1;

format date1 mmddyy7.;

RUN;

Thanks,

Shiva

redrover99
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I would like the date in the numeric format because then I can plus ten years to the year or minus ten years to the year. I'm looking to edit my dates later on my in my analysis.

Via your method date 1 still is not recognised as a number. When you multiply by 1 or minus 1 I am still receiving a large negative. Furthermore, is it possible to have it in the format ddmmyyyy OR yyyymmdd?

Alpay
Fluorite | Level 6

Date values are stored as the number of days since 1/1/1960 in SAS and displayed with date formats like mmddyys10. (MM/DD/YYYY)/date9.(DDMONYYYY), etc.

SAS has specific functions to do date arithmetic like increment/decrement dates by week/month/quarter/year or count the date intervals between two dates.

For some examples/details, please see Art Carpenter's paper on using SAS dates and times http://www.lexjansen.com/pharmasug/2005/tutorials/tu01.pdf

The following code snippet will turn a date value 31/12/2012 into an integer value of 31122012.

data _null_;

date = '31Dec2012'd;

newdate = INPUT(PUT(x,ddmmyyn8.),best12.);

put newdate=;

run;

redrover99
Calcite | Level 5

using this method I only have 1 observation. I have attached my data above. What can I change '31dec2012' to read all my data not just 1?Capture.JPG

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

How about combine code from Ksharp and Alpay?

proc import datafile='c:\temp\test.dbf' out=have dbms=dbf replace;run;

data want;

set have;

newdate = INPUT(PUT(date,ddmmyyn8.),best12.);

run;

Haikuo

Astounding
PROC Star

Once you understand how SAS stores date values, this would be the way to add 10 years:

data want;

set have;

newdate = intnx('year', date, +10, 'same');

format date newdate ddmmyyn8.;  /* or any other date format you would like to see */

run;

But first, it is important to understand SAS's date scale.

Good luck.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 6 in conversation