BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TzufRaifMia
Calcite | Level 5

Hey All!

I am trying to use DQMATCH for my DQ project.

My task is to detect some "same" names. A difficult case is a name which is a short for another name.

For example, "Bill Gates" has the same match code as "William Gates", since "Bill" is a short name of "William", and "Gates" is the Family name for both.

But, when I pass only "Bill", "William" to the function, it creates different match codes.

How can I generate same match codes to these 2 names without having the need of passing Family name?

I'm not committed for using 'DQMATCH' so I'll glad to hear any other ideas.

Attached are outputs.

Thanks in advanced,

Tzuf

dqexm1.PNGdqexm2.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
momo66
Calcite | Level 5

"><momo

momo66
Calcite | Level 5

<a>momo</a>

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you only supply part of a name then DQMATCH will most likely assume BILL and WILLIAM are surnames and so are indeed different. DQMATCH works better the more complete the attribute being matched is in my experience. 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

It's way too long ago that I have used SAS DQ to really know so just guessing:

What happens if you concatenate a fixed last name (like: Gates) to your variable with a first name only and then use dqmatch() on this string?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation