BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
terra1
Calcite | Level 5

Hello! I am a novice user and have looked through the forum for hours trying to find a solution to this problem to no avail. 

I have survey health data for over 200,000 individuals (each row represents a unique individual) and I would like to create a simple comorbidity index. I have 9 variables (columns) representing 9 medical conditions (all binary numeric, coded as 0 = no and 1 = yes), and would like to create a new variable which tells me how many individuals report having 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 or more medical conditions. 

I'm sorry I don't know how to add a sample of the data! This is as far as I've gotten - creating a new variable that is able to indicate that a person has all 9 comorbid diseases, or none of the 9 diseases. I'm stuck at being able to indicate if they have three of the 9 diseases, how to indicate comorbid = 3, and if they have any two of the 9 diseases, how to indicate comorbid = 2, etc.... 

DATA CP;
SET M.CP; 
COMORBID = .;
IF (EVER_ASTHMA = 1) AND (EVER_EMPHYS =1) AND (EVER_CB =1) AND (EVER_DIAB=1) AND (EVER_TB=1) AND (EVER_HD=1) AND (EVER_MIOC=1) AND (EVER_RESP=1) AND (EVER_HBP=1) THEN COMORBID = 9;
IF (EVER_ASTHMA = 0) AND (EVER_EMPHYS =0) AND (EVER_CB =0) AND (EVER_DIAB=0) AND (EVER_TB=0) AND (EVER_HD=0) AND (EVER_MIOC=0) AND (EVER_RESP=0) AND (EVER_HBP=0) THEN COMORBID = 0;
RUN;

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

are you looking for something like this

DATA CP;
SET M.CP; 
COMORBID = 0;
COMORBID = sum(EVER_ASTHMA, EVER_EMPHYS, EVER_CB, EVER_DIAB, EVER_TB, EVER_HD, EVER_MIOC, EVER_RESP, EVER_HBP);
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

are you looking for something like this

DATA CP;
SET M.CP; 
COMORBID = 0;
COMORBID = sum(EVER_ASTHMA, EVER_EMPHYS, EVER_CB, EVER_DIAB, EVER_TB, EVER_HD, EVER_MIOC, EVER_RESP, EVER_HBP);
run;
terra1
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks so much!! This is exactly what I was looking for ! 

VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

you are welcome.

glad it was a simple issue to resolve.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation