BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
anu1999
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am seeking some information on how can I create a catalog in SASHELP's EMUTIL folder.

I know we can create a catalog using "proc build" and pointing it to a location on computer as library but I am not able to figure out how can I create a catalog (with some sas program files) in the EMUTIL folder of sashelp library.

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
anu1999
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks All for your suggestions...

I was trying to create a extension node in SAS Enterprise miner which requires putting sas macros in SAShelp library if I want to distribute it via server.

I found this documentation from developers's guide very helpful:

The simplest way to do this is to include your catalog in the Sashelp library by placing the catalog in the SASCFG folder. The exact location of this folder depends on your operating system and your installation configuration, but it is always found under the root SAS directory and has a path resembling ... \SAS\SASFoundation\9.2\nls\en\SASCFG. For example, on a typical Windows installation, the path is as follows: C:\Program Files\SAS\SASFoundation\9.2\nls\en\SASCFG. You can also store the catalog in another folder and then modify the SAS system configuration file Sasv9.cfg so that this folder is included in the Sashelp search path. The Sasv9.cfg file is located under the root SAS directory in ... \SAS\SASFoundation\9.2\nls\en. Putting your code in the Sashelp library enables anyone using that server to access it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

EMUTIL is a SAS-supplied catalog containing souce code entries for Enterprise Miner. It is created as part of your SAS installation.

It would be highly dangerous to add your own souce code entries to this catalog and in any case if your SAS server is set up correctly you would have read access only to this location. 

If you want to store your own user code/utilities in a SAS catalog, then it would be best to add it it in a user-created SAS library.  

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I think the only way to support this requires that you can add a system option at SAS start-up, like:

-insert sashelp 'a path that your and the sas server can write'

This extends the concatenation of SAS help to include the folder of your choice.

It then depends on library and catalog concatenation. See the concepts at  http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/67885/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0en09656vbdqvn13o9j...

anu1999
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks All for your suggestions...

I was trying to create a extension node in SAS Enterprise miner which requires putting sas macros in SAShelp library if I want to distribute it via server.

I found this documentation from developers's guide very helpful:

The simplest way to do this is to include your catalog in the Sashelp library by placing the catalog in the SASCFG folder. The exact location of this folder depends on your operating system and your installation configuration, but it is always found under the root SAS directory and has a path resembling ... \SAS\SASFoundation\9.2\nls\en\SASCFG. For example, on a typical Windows installation, the path is as follows: C:\Program Files\SAS\SASFoundation\9.2\nls\en\SASCFG. You can also store the catalog in another folder and then modify the SAS system configuration file Sasv9.cfg so that this folder is included in the Sashelp search path. The Sasv9.cfg file is located under the root SAS directory in ... \SAS\SASFoundation\9.2\nls\en. Putting your code in the Sashelp library enables anyone using that server to access it.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I find it interesting that SAS is recommending that user code be placed in a SAS installation folder. This is definitely not best practice as the SAS installation folders are subject to change if maintenance and fixes are applied. There is also the danger of forgetting to migrate your source code when you migrate to a new SAS installation. The rule is you keep user modifications separate.

Putting user changes in a separate folder is definitely the best way to go. Also you should change the config file sasv9_usermods.cfg not the original sasv9.cfg.

anu1999
Obsidian | Level 7

You are right it's probably not a best practice but what I am trying to do is create a extension node in enterprise miner and distribute it on server so others can have access to this new extension node. So for this purpose only this is the easy way to distribute the user defined node. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation