BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,
I read all the online documentation I could find
but was not able to spot what kind of permissions
the users (internal or external?) needs to create the physical dube.

Regards,
metalray.
12 REPLIES 12
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
I created the sasdemo account, made it an external account
"external identities > added the one as defined in windows"

and gave it the permissions:

sas general servers
sas system services
sas administrators

when I then use OLAP cube studio and use
a new connection profile with sasdemo instead of sasad(the connection and
definition of the cube works with sasadm but the building not).
I get the error:
"The application could not log on to the server "sasvm:8561".
The user "sasdemo@saspw" or the password is incorrect
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8
>"The application could not log on to the server "sasvm:8561".
>The user "sasdemo@saspw" or the password is incorrect

"sasdemo@saspw" implies it is an internal account... Make sure you have created the account correctly, is sasdemo a user id in your operating system?

The reason you sasadm account can't create the cube is because it is internal to SAS and so you don't have the physical permission to create the cube on the file system. Message was edited by: twocanbazza
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Hello twocanbazza,

many thanks for your reply.
You said "Make sure you have created the account correctly, is sasdemo a user id in your operating system?".
sasdemo is a local administrator on my windows machine but I am uncertain if
I have added it "correctly" within SAS Management Console.
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8
I suggest look at the SAS documentation...

Select new user, in the user manager

give it a name (say SAS Demo). go to the accounts tab, select New, enter the userid of you sasdemo account (Password not required). Generally make sure default auth is selected. ok ok. - Thats it (well creating a user anyway).

Barry
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Hello twocanbazza,

Thanks for the suggestions but "I read all the online documentation I could find".

1. I logged into Management Console as sasadmin
2. create a new user called sasdemo and go to the accounts demo and add sasdemo.
(previously I did not go to the accounts tab but used
clickend on "external identities" on the GENERAL tab.

3. start OLAp cube studio and try to login as sasdemo (error: the application could
not log on to the server "sasvm:8561". the userid "sasdemo@saspw" or the password ist
incorrect.

conclusion: I am no step further. I guess sasdemo has the wrong permissions?
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
ok I think I got a step furhter.

1. I qualified sasvm/sasdemo with the domain when loging into cube studio.
I clicked on my cube and chose build cube. now I am asked to log in again into
SASApp. (Choose a SAS application Server). Which login do i have to use this time?

I tried sasvm/sasdemo, sasadm@saspw and sasdemo@saspw.
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
using sasdemo
----------------
User sasvm/sasdemo probably does not have the right to log on as a batch job.
Error authenticating user sasvm/sasdemo in function LogonUser. Error 1385 (Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. ).
Access denied.
The application could not log on to the server "SASVM:8591". The user ID "sasvm/sasdemo" or the password is incorrect.
----------------

using sasadm
---------------
No host credentials exist to start server SASApp - Workspace Server (A5O6V5LH.AU000007). Either the client needs to send in host credentials, or credentials need to be specified for the server.
The application could not log on to the server "SASVM:8591". The user ID "sasadm@saspw" or the password is incorrect.
---------------
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8
Are you sure domain\sasdemo is a local admin, as logon as batch is a default for admin.

I suggest talking to SAS techsupport at this stage, as you are missing some fundamental setup.

CHeers

Barry Message was edited by: twocanbazza
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Barry,

Thanks for you help.
I have already contacted SAS techsupport but I dont make much progress on this route either.

During the initial SAS installation I specified the user sasvm\sasadmin as demo user or
something. I can remember.
When I go to management consule and create a new user sasadmin and click on the "accounts"
tab as you suggested to enter a new account sasvm\sasadmin I get the error "account exists".

Yes, it exists in Windows, I know that, its an external file system administrator.

I am really confused about that.
metalray
Calcite | Level 5
1. can log into Olap cube studio using a windows admin sasvm\sasadmin but the
build physical cube button is grayed out (bypassing SAS authorization so it seems)

2. when I add a user in Managment Console and dont assign a account but just
the ROLE "SAS General Server" (that uses sasvm\sasadmin again) I can not log in at all
saswadmin@saspw.

3. when I use the sas meta data administrator sasadmin@saspw I can not build the cube.

4. I log in OLAP studio as sasvm\sasdemo (domain: defaultAuth) then click on build-cube
and get a SECOND login window "Log On- SASApp". so I guess this is the metadataserver
that I have not touched when loging in earlier hence I use saswadmin@saspw but the error is:
------------------------------------------------------------------
No host credentials exist to start server SASApp - Workspace Server (A5O6V5LH.AU000007). Either the client needs to send in host credentials, or credentials need to be specified for the server.
The application could not log on to the server "SASVM:8591". The user ID "sasadm@saspw" or the password is incorrect
using sasdemo@saspw
Access denied.
The application could not log on to the server "SASVM:8591". The user ID "sasdemo@saspw" or the password is incorrect.

it seems like a vicious circle
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8
> 2. when I add a user in Managment Console and dont
> assign a account but just
> the ROLE "SAS General Server" (that uses
> sasvm\sasadmin again) I can not log in at all
> saswadmin@saspw.

Is SAS General Server you own defined role as there is no SAS defined Role with this name, however there is a group with this name.

>
> 3. when I use the sas meta data administrator
> sasadmin@saspw I can not build the cube.

Correct as @saspw implies an internal account... typically these don't have any physical file permisisons, which you need to create a cube.

>
> 4. I log in OLAP studio as sasvm\sasdemo (domain:
> defaultAuth) then click on build-cube
> and get a SECOND login window "Log On- SASApp". so I
> guess this is the metadataserver
> that I have not touched when loging in earlier hence
> I use saswadmin@saspw but the error is:
> ------------------------------------------------------
> ------------
> No host credentials exist to start server SASApp -
> Workspace Server (A5O6V5LH.AU000007). Either the
> client needs to send in host credentials, or
> credentials need to be specified for the server.
> The application could not log on to the server
> "SASVM:8591". The user ID "sasadm@saspw" or the
> password is incorrect
> ------------
> using sasdemo@saspw
> ------------
> Access denied.
> The application could not log on to the server
> "SASVM:8591". The user ID "sasdemo@saspw" or the
> password is incorrect.
> ------------
>

Again, @saspw assumes a internal account, you should be connecting to the app server with an account with physical file permission, like one created in AD.

> it seems like a vicious circle

If also seems you don't have an environment that is setup correctly, I strongly suggest that you refer to an number of the SAS admin reference guides to see where you are going wrong. It is to hard to try and help you when there are so many factors here.

Take a step back, are you able to create datasets? in the same location as the cubes, on the same app server?

Sorry I can' be of any more help.

Barry
wsquare
Calcite | Level 5

it's been quite awhile since the initial post. just wondering what steps you had taken to get building physical cube working ? had the same similar issues as described abv as well, except i don't use sasdemo@saspw, but it's an exernal account tied with SAS general system service i will need to log in frequently when assessing SASApp, on top of my usual connection profile...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation