BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jchitw12
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I have experiments with multiple plants that make up one plot, and plots are treated as experimental units within blocks. I typically use excel to calculate the mean of the plants within a plot, and then transfer those values to a new sheet to load into SAS and analyze. However, I want to use SAS to perform this step instead (SAS 9.4). For an example, this is a sample dataset with three plots (A, B, and C) each having 4 plants with a measurement (score). Then there are three blocks. 

data sample;
input block line$ plant score;
cards;
1 A 1 3
1 A 2 2
1 A 3 4
1 A 4 3
1 B 1 4
1 B 2 3
1 B 3 5
1 B 4 4
1 C 1 2
1 C 2 2
1 C 3 3
1 C 4 2
2 A 1 4
2 A 2 5
2 A 3 5
2 A 4 5
2 B 1 3
2 B 2 2
2 B 3 3
2 B 4 3
2 C 1 3
2 C 2 2
2 C 3 2
2 C 4 2
3 A 1 5
3 A 2 6
3 A 3 6
3 A 4 5
3 B 1 4
3 B 2 3
3 B 3 4
3 B 4 2
3 C 1 2
3 C 2 2
3 C 3 3
3 C 4 2
;
run;

So I want a dataset now with average values for each A, B, or C within each block that I can then use for analysis. I've found somewhat similar examples using proc sql or proc means, but I get errors when I try to implement. For example:

proc sql;
create table average as
select *, mean(score) as average_score
from sample
by block
where line between 'A' and 'A'
and plant between 1 and 4;
quit;

and this didn't work, the error message said ERROR 78-322: Expecting a ','. so I know I'm missing something.... this seems like such a simple thing, I know there must be an answer. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

proc sql;
create table average as
from sample
group by block, line
;
quit;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Here are two fully worked methods, see if you can incorporate one with your data.

The error you state versus the code you've shown don't make sense. I would suggest posting the exact code and log. 

https://github.com/statgeek/SAS-Tutorials/blob/master/add_average_value_to_dataset.sas

Reeza
Super User

proc sql;
create table average as
from sample
group by block, line
;
quit;

jchitw12
Fluorite | Level 6

That did the trick. Thank you so much!! 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation