BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kthartma
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi there,

I have been using proc corr to conduct correlation matrix for continuous variables: "var" diagnosis rates (for 8 years) "with"  volumes (for 8 years) - see below.

I want to do something similar for "var" diagnosis rates (8 years) "with" sex (m/f) and another categorical variable with 5 levels.  Any suggestions for procedures to do a correlation matrix (var: 8 continuous, with categorical [2 levels and another variable with 5 levels])?  

PROC CORR DATA=data.eva;
VAR rate_2009 rate_2010 rate_2011 rate_2012 rate_2013 rate_2014 rate_2015 rate_2016;
WITH tot_2009 tot_2010 tot_2011 tot_2012 tot_2013 tot_2014 tot_2015 tot_2016;

run;

3 REPLIES 3
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Do you want to create separate correlation matrices for each level of your categorical variable?

kthartma
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi,

I think so, I want it to be like:

Tot_2009 Tot_2010 Tot_2011 Tot_2012
Female
Male

If that makes sense. Let me know.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@kthartma wrote:

Tot_2009 Tot_2010 Tot_2011 Tot_2012
Female
Male

If that makes sense. Let me know.

Actually, it doesn't make any sense to me. This is just words without description or meaning in the context of correlation of matrices.

The only thing that makes sense to me in the context of correlation matrices is to produce a correlation matrix for males and a different correlation matrix for females. If that's the case, sort by male/female, and then put a BY statement into your PROC CORR.

If that's NOT what you mean, please describe this in detail, instead of the rather brief descriptions you have given so far. Show us an example of what you want.

As long as we're discussing this, I don't see any reason to correlate rate2009 with tot_2016, for example, I can't image how this correlation of data 7 years apart would be meaningful.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation