BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ballardw
Super User

If you only have to process this one time I would suggest the Open in Excel, highlight and change text to numeric approach.

If you have to do this frequently I would start documenting how much time this takes as eventually what ever approach you take that works with this file is likely to fail, hopefully no date at all rather than a date that causes more issues later, and will need additional time to identify and correct.

At some point you may have documented enough time=man hours=Co$t to the organization that the process at least gets reviewed.

It may be there is no formal data "agreement" for combining the multiple data sources as to what goes in which column, what format and what file type. A lack of this type is common cause of "weird" data issues such as you are experiencing. There may be other people upstream of you that are also having issues around combining this data.

I decided long ago that I would avoid using actual Excel files for interchange because of the file size limits. Once upon a time 64K rows was the limit and I routinely dealt with orders of magnitude above that. Having someone try to tell me to process 10 or 100 files after spitting the data apart just to use Excel (and why? they couldn't actually do anything in Excel without the whole data set) was a waste of everyones time.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 7 in conversation