BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Asquared
Calcite | Level 5

I'm working on a dataset which has a variable "phonecall_duration". The variable is in Character format and the values in rows look something like this :

phonecall_duration
0 years 0 mons 0 days 0 hours 0 mins 48.00 secs
0 years 0 mons 0 days 1 hours 2 mins 15.00 secs
0 years 0 mons 0 days 2 hours 7 mins 28.00 secs
0 years 0 mons 0 days 0 hours 9 mins 27.00 secs

What I want is a variable "minutes" which basically calculates this time duration in minutes only(i.e by adding hours+minutes+sec) with up to 2 decimal places. The table will look like this.

minutes

I read a lot of documents and codes however I couldn't figure out an efficient way to do this since the variable is not a SAS TIME format. Please suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

It looks like a well formatted string, so use SCAN() to get the nth elements in this case the 1st is year, 3 is months, 5 is days etc. Then do the math using the SUM() function. You'll likely need INPUT() to convert it to a number as well to avoid type conversion notes in your log.

If you've 'read a lot of documents and codes' it helps to also show what you've tried so we don't suggest things you already know don't work.

@Asquared wrote:

I'm working on a dataset which has a variable "phonecall_duration". The variable is in Character format and the values in rows look something like this :

phonecall_duration

What I want is a variable "minutes" which basically calculates this time duration in minutes only(i.e by adding hours+minutes+sec) with up to 2 decimal places. The table will look like this.

minutes

I read a lot of documents and codes however I couldn't figure out an efficient way to do this since the variable is not a SAS TIME format. Please suggest.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

It looks like a well formatted string, so use SCAN() to get the nth elements in this case the 1st is year, 3 is months, 5 is days etc. Then do the math using the SUM() function. You'll likely need INPUT() to convert it to a number as well to avoid type conversion notes in your log.

If you've 'read a lot of documents and codes' it helps to also show what you've tried so we don't suggest things you already know don't work.

@Asquared wrote:

phonecall_duration

minutes

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You have to parse the string into the needed parts, using the SCAN function. So the 7th "word" is the number of hours, the 9th "word" is the number of minutes and so on. From there, it ought to be easy to compute the desired number of minutes. 

--
Paige Miller
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Can't agree more with Reeza's exquisite response. More than any docs, read through char functions, how you would extract the nums you need to compute the sum. 

1st extract nums you need( look for functions)

2nd compute the sum after dividing the seconds num by 60

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation