BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi everyone

I have a string like "042014" and other like "201404" both meaning April 2014.

What I want to do is to convert both ones in some "Month-Year" format, so I can use them in IF-THEN-ELSE statement like > < = etc.

In addition: I have imported them in $char6. I do not know if I can import them in date format, like DDMMYY10. because in that case I do not have the days.

Thanks and regards from Brazil.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

If you are getting values as described I don't think you'll ever find an informat that would read them accurately because of multiple possible interpretations.

You will have to parse the data to some extent and determine which have the leading year and which are following. If the years in question are always 4 digits you might be able to use something like:

if substr(datestring,1,2) in ('19','20') then do; /* if the first 2 characters are 19 or 20 then they can't be months so should be year*/

/* assuming you want a date value you need to assume a day of month, here I use the first day of the month*/

monyear = mdy(input(substr(datestring,5,2),f2.),1,input(substr(datestring,1,4),f4.));

end;

else do;

monyear = mdy(input(substr(datestring,1,2),f2.),1,input(substr(datestring,3,4),f4.));

end;

format monyear mmyy6.;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

If you are getting values as described I don't think you'll ever find an informat that would read them accurately because of multiple possible interpretations.

You will have to parse the data to some extent and determine which have the leading year and which are following. If the years in question are always 4 digits you might be able to use something like:

if substr(datestring,1,2) in ('19','20') then do; /* if the first 2 characters are 19 or 20 then they can't be months so should be year*/

/* assuming you want a date value you need to assume a day of month, here I use the first day of the month*/

monyear = mdy(input(substr(datestring,5,2),f2.),1,input(substr(datestring,1,4),f4.));

end;

else do;

monyear = mdy(input(substr(datestring,1,2),f2.),1,input(substr(datestring,3,4),f4.));

end;

format monyear mmyy6.;

Thanks it worked perfectly!

Ksharp
Super User

Same like ballard:

data x;
input date $6.;
cards;
;
run;
data x;
 set x;
 if date in: ('20' '19') then d=input(date||'01',yymmdd10.);
  else d=input('01'||date,ddmmyy10.);
  format d date.;
run;

Xia Keshan

Thanks Ksharp, like ballard your solution worked perfectly.

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I would like to suggest that a user informat would make the code look simpler.

based on the first character of the string, you have a good clue about the more appropriate INFORMAT.

This offers an opportunity to demonstrate using informats in the LABEL area of user defined informats.

PROC FORMAT ;

INVALUE mixed_up_date

'010000' - '199999' = [mmyyn6.] /* see below */

'200000' - '299999' = [yymmn6.]

other = _error_ ;

run ;

proc format

run ;

data x ;

attrib  date format=date9. informat= mixed_up_date6. ;

input date ;

cards ;

failure

;

Unfortunately, although there is an informat for YYYYMM style dates, there is no informat for MMYYYY

Well, not until someone creates one.

Until SAS Institute do (is a "birdie" listening? ), here is mine (date ranges 2000 to 2100)

data cntlin ;

retain fmtname 'mmyyN'  type 'i ' ;

do mm=1 to 12 ;

do yy = 2000 to 2100 ;

start = put( mm*1e4 + yy, z6. ) ;

label = mdy( mm, 1, yy ) ;

output ;

end; end ;

hlo= 'o' ;

call missing( start, label ) ;

output ;

run ;

PROC FORMAT cntlin = cntlin ;

run  ;

Message was edited by: Peter Crawford  (uk time 20:54 22Apr2014)    someone needed to fix my defects = bugs caused by rushed and untested typing.   The corrected code has been tested in SAS9.3 and 9.4

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 4 in conversation