BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
NitinDwivedi
Calcite | Level 5

aameHi ,

I have a requirement where I need to access DB2 in AIX, whereas SAS code is in mainframe environment, Please anyone can guide me what need to  be done to establish connection and get data .

Document reference or solution to the problem would be helpful.

Regards,

Nitin Dwivedi

11 REPLIES 11
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi:

You didn't say whether SAS was available on the AIX system.  Also - do you have SAS/Connect and SAS/Access to DB2 on the

AIX system as well?

We go the other way around and access DB2 on the z/OS system and use all these components.

NitinDwivedi
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

No, SAS is not available on the AIX system, It is on Z/OS.  I have SAS/Access to DB2 in Z/OS system as i have referenced DB2 tables in Z/OS, not sure about SAS/connect.

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

I think that without SAS products on the AIX, you can't "establish connection and get data".

I second the "call tech support" reply.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I know from experience with a different setup (SAS on AIX, DB/2 on Linux) that SAS makes use of a local DB/2 client installation (SAS can't simply connect to a DB/2 server all by itself). You need to make sure first that the client instance on the SAS machine can connect to the DB in question, then you can set up the conncetion in SAS.

You positively need SAS tech support and your DB administrator to help. It is not trivial.

NitinDwivedi
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks ,

I will try to reach Mainframe DBA and ask tech support, will get back with relevant findings.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

If you have no SAS on AIX then it is no SAS question when you want to use DS2 on AIX.

You should ask your DS2 administration for help.

Do you want to use AIX with SAS connected to DB2 on the mainframe the best approach is the one using SAS connect.

You will need a SAS platform administrator for the integration of all technical components an having them aligned to your business policies.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
NitinDwivedi
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jaap,

Yes, getting in touch with my Mainframe DBA to establish connection with DB2 table defined in AIX and create view/alias in Z/OS.

Is it a feasable approach of creating views in Z/OS and I may access the view using SAS in Z/OS environment.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

What you need is a connection from your Mainframe SAS to your AIX DB2.

SAS/ACCESS to DB2 will allow you to connect to a DB2 client on your Mainframe. This DB2 client then must be able to connect to the DB2 database under AIX.

That this DB2 client is available and can connect is something your Mainframe admin has to work out with your DB2 admin. And once this is working your SAS admin comes into play to define the necessary connection within SMC to the DB2 client. Only then you as the SAS developer can start using this stuff.

As both "Mainframe" and DB2 under AIX are IBM products I would assume that connectivity as such is technically possible - if it's possible within your organisation is of course another question.

Try to figure out if someone else accesses the DB2 from the Mainframe (whether with SAS or otherwise) as this would indicate that all the necessary bits and pieces are already in place and it's only about connecting SAS to the DB2 client.

Well: That's at least how I believe things are working - but may be I'm oversimplifying things here. It's not really my area and I'm always very happy that someone else is working out such stuff for me...

NitinDwivedi
Calcite | Level 5

Hi ,

DBA has set up the connection and I was able to retreive SQL extract from AIX database thru batch, DBA has generated a new plan to access the view defined in Z/OS.

Now I am getting issue while accessing it thru online module. SAS has default PLAN attached, therefore giving SQL -805, Can I change the plan for this view only in Online program, as  I have lot many other tables called from the same online program.

Please let me know how it could be established.code will helpful

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.3 for Relational Databases: Reference, Second Edition    db2plan?
This document is almost DBA work but as it SAS documentation often avoided by the DBA. The SAS platform admin role.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation