BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kiwi
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm trying to pull in fields called Mort1, Mort2, Mort3, etc. depending on what value is in my variables, MortDuration&i.  

This returns text of Mort1, Mort2, etc. instead of the values:

%LET i=1;

%DO k=&i %TO &j;

CAT(Mort,Calculated MortDuration&i) as Mortality&i,

%LET i=%EVAL(&i+1);

%END;

If I replace the variable I want with a constant, it works:

%SYSFUNC(CAT(Mort,1)) as Mortality&i, (only it always returns Mort1)

And this returns an error:

%SYSFUNC(CAT(Mort,Calculated MortDuration&i)) as Mortality&i,

Here is my original non-macro, very ugly code that was working:

ifn(Calculated MortDuration1=0,Mort0,ifn(Calculated MortDuration1=1,Mort1,ifn(Calculated MortDuration1=2,Mort2,ifn(Calculated MortDuration1=3,Mort3,ifn(Calculated MortDuration1=4,Mort4,.... etc. as Mortality1,

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Do you need a macro?

Can you use VVALUEX function instead?

ballardw
Super User

Since you don't show any values for Mort1 Mort2 etc I'm guessing that either a FORMAT or INFORMAT may be a better solution.

Is the result supposed to be a text value or numeric?

A format like

proc format;

value vmort

0 = 'value'

1 = 'other value'

2='something else'

;

run;

put(mortduration&i,vmort.) as mort&i

or an invalue and input

And it looks like you Could even use a CASE

case

%do k=&i %to &j ; /* what ever value bound

when mortduration&k = &k then Mort&k

%end;

else <value when none are true

end as <targetvariablename>,

your Ifn is incomplete so can't guess more.

If you provideed more information about actual values, variable names and what the heck is being done overall to those variables it would help.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Sounds like your problem is that you want to select which of the various MORTx real variables to use based on the value of the MORTDURATIONy real variable instead of the value of your MACRO variable.  You need to use two %DO loops. One to loop of the set of variables that you are checking the value of (and hence the names of the new variable you are generating) and an inner loop to loop over the set of possible values.  Generate a CASE statement since you are already using SQL syntax.

%let nvar=5 ;
%let nvalues=4 ;

%do y=1 %to &nvar ;
,case 
  %do x=1 %to &nvalues ;
  when (calculated MortDuration&y=&x) then Mort&x
  %end;
  end as Mortality&y
%end;

Note that I moved the comma to the beginning of the generated string instead of the end.  This is both an easier style for humans to read and it is also easier to generate in this type of %DO loop.  It is more likely for this list of variables to be at the end of your SELECT than the beginning since there will normally be id variables preceding them.  If they are at the beginning then add another macro variable to contain the comma.  Set it to empty before the loop so that the first variable is generated without the leading comma. Then set it to a comma at the end of the loop so that all subsequent variables will have the leading comma.

%let sep=;
%do i=1 to 5;
  &sep.VAR&i 
  %let sep=,;
%end;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation