BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ritam2011
Calcite | Level 5

Guys, I have an issue where I have to delete duplicate elements of a character array.

For example:

Array1:  [cat dog hen cat dog] ----> [cat dog hen]

or

Array2:  [cat cat cat] ----> [cat]

I want to maintain the original order.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DLing
Obsidian | Level 7

Here's a really dumb idea but it should work:

do i = 1 to N;  (for each element of array - N is number of elements of array)

if carray ~= '' then do;

do j = i+1 to N;     (for all following elements)

if carray = carray then carray = '';   (wipe out all elements same as carray)

end;

end;

end;

At the end of this loop, you have an array with holes in it, but dup elements are gone.

If you want, you can squish the array so that the elements are contiguous via:

pos = 1;

do i = 1 to N;

if carray ~= '' then do;

carray[pos] = carray;

pos = pos + 1;

end;

end;

Not elegant, but should work.

Another idea is, if instead of array, the source is a really long string, then tranwrd() can be used to eliminate words without looping.  This makes the dup word elimination easier, but you pick up other headaches of keeping track of what's been done already,... etc.  Don't think this will be more efficient to execute.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

What about all the ladies? :smileyangry:

Use a loop that searches the rest of the array for the same value, if the value is the same set it to missing instead. 

Or use whichc to find the other variables and the index for it to again set it to missing. 

In the end you may need to shorten your array by dropping some variables.

There was a solution posted recently for a similar problem but with airplane codes and looking for flight paths I think....

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

WhichC sounds like a good idea.

323  data test;

324     array c[5] $3;

325     input c

• ;
  • 326     put;

327     put 'NOTE: Before (' (c

• )(+1 $3.) ' )';
  • 328     do i = 1 to dim(c);

329        if i gt whichC(c,of c

• ) then call missing(c);
  • 330        end;

331     put 'NOTE- After  (' (c

• )(+1 $3.) ' )';
  • 332     cards;

NOTE: Before ( cat dog hen cat dog )

After  ( cat dog hen         )

NOTE: Before ( cat cat cat         )

After  ( cat                 )

DLing
    Obsidian | Level 7

Here's a really dumb idea but it should work:

do i = 1 to N;  (for each element of array - N is number of elements of array)

if carray ~= '' then do;

do j = i+1 to N;     (for all following elements)

if carray = carray then carray = '';   (wipe out all elements same as carray)

end;

end;

end;

At the end of this loop, you have an array with holes in it, but dup elements are gone.

If you want, you can squish the array so that the elements are contiguous via:

pos = 1;

do i = 1 to N;

if carray ~= '' then do;

carray[pos] = carray;

pos = pos + 1;

end;

end;

Not elegant, but should work.

Another idea is, if instead of array, the source is a really long string, then tranwrd() can be used to eliminate words without looping.  This makes the dup word elimination easier, but you pick up other headaches of keeping track of what's been done already,... etc.  Don't think this will be more efficient to execute.

Ksharp
    Super User

Why not use Hash Table which has this ability.

Ksharp

ritam2011
    Calcite | Level 5

Thanks everyone for your help.  I ended up using D-Ling's suggestions for the nested DO loop to check all values on each row and replacing duplicates with a missing value. One thing I did notice (prob since I'm new to this) was that I had to use ' ' instead of . to replace a value with a missing value or else the column width became extremely large.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
    • 5 replies
    • 6 likes
    • 5 in conversation