BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
anoopm7
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am trying to capture all the names that follow a pattern using the LIKE operator in proc sql. I don't want to use a OR command or a UNION in my sql. Is there a better way of doing it like using a IN associated with LIKE.

data test ;

input id name $ ;

datalines ;

12 ANOOP

13 ANEESH

14 REMYA

15 REMY

16 JACK

17 JACOB

19 AMY

20 ROSE

;

run ;

proc sql;

select *

from test

where name like in('%AN%','%RE%') ;

when i execute this I get the below error

ERROR: LIKE operator requires character operands.

so I removed IN and ran it and I got the below errors

43         where name like ('%AN%','%RE%') ;

_

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !, !!, &, ), *, **, +, -, /, <, <=, <>, =, >, >=, ?, AND, BETWEEN,

CONTAINS, EQ, EQT, GE, GET, GT, GTT, IN, IS, LE, LET, LIKE, LT, LTT, NE, NET, NOT, NOTIN, OR, ^, ^=, |, ||, ~, ~=. 

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

If you really are looking for only the prefix AN or RE and prefer to stay with SQL, use:

where substr(name, 1, 2) in ("AN", "RE");

PG

PG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I don't know if there would be any benefit to using :

where prxmatch ("/AN|RE/oi", name) > 0;

PG

PG
FriedEgg
SAS Employee

Are you sure that you want the LIKE condition with the preceding %.  Meaning that you are looking to select rows where the name contains the string AN or RE anywhere in the name, rather than just as a prefix, as your data suggests?

Astounding
PROC Star

If (1) you really are looking for only the prefix AN or RE, and (2) you are willing to switch from SQL to a DATA step, it becomes easy:

where name in : ('AN', 'RE');

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

If you really are looking for only the prefix AN or RE and prefer to stay with SQL, use:

where substr(name, 1, 2) in ("AN", "RE");

PG

PG
anoopm7
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks. That almost gave me what I am looking for. But if they come between the sentence I may not be able to use the IN and SUBSTR. So in that case is the best approach to shift from proc sql using to the basic data step and using a Where condition?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

@Astounding's proposition and mine above are both for the prefix only case. If the substring can occur anywhere in the sentence, go for the PRXMATCH solution proposed earlier. - PG

PG
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If you want to search a string for more than one substring anywhere in the string (as your LIKE indicates) then I would go for a regular expression as already proposed.

If you run this SQL against a data base then I would use explicit SQL and use the data base function for regular expressions (a lot of data bases have such an implementation) to avoid downloading all the data first into SAS for sub-setting (prxmatch() can't be pushed to the data base for execution).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 5 in conversation