BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TasteMyBiceps
Calcite | Level 5

I move from Relational Database and new to SAS.

Now I need to import several CSV files into SAS, and there are relationships between those files. Just like the relationships between tables in database.

I am wondering, is there the same concept exits in SAS such as the foreign key which I need to set up, or I just import those files directly regardless of the relationships because no such things in SAS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You cannot create this kind of constraint between tables in SAS. This represents really poor design. Why does Proj_ID take 10 characters if only 4 are needed? Why create a link based on substrings? Fix this (if you have the opportunity) by splitting the primary index in table Response into two fields.

PG

PG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Ron_MacroMaven
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

probably not the way that you do as a database admin

Here is one programmer's ideas about identifying table types

http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Database_Design_References

there is no exact mechanism in SAS

to link a dimension table to a column that is a foreign key.

the closest is a format

the association is made in two steps

proc format;

value f_key_st 'AL' = 'Alabama'

'FL' = 'Florida';

2. assign format to variable

DATA X;

attrib st length = $2 format = f_key_st.;

be aware that proc format creates a catalog (compiled code) from the value statement.

In data x there is no 'link', only a reference to the fact

that there is an in-memory look-up table,

which is available when displaying the data via procedures.

3. data sets of dimension tables can be converted to formats

using the cntlin option

proc format cntlin=library.dimension_st;

RTFM because the data structure of a format control data set is constrained.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hmm, formats instead of referential integrity...?

Please.

If you are working with Base SAS libraries, you can use constraints that enforces referential integrity. Question is, do you really need to do that? Often FK constraints can be obsolete if you are using look.up operations during load.

SAS(R) 9.4 Language Reference: Concepts, Fourth Edition

Data never sleeps
TasteMyBiceps
Calcite | Level 5

The joins are exactly what I need.

ballardw
Super User

SAS isn't going to "automatically" link anything but you can define views with either data step code or proc sql to duplicate some of that behavior.

TasteMyBiceps
Calcite | Level 5

I am still blurring now. I just start from yesterday on SAS with 0 experience, and I have a task need to complete in 3 days.

So, suppose I have two data sets: Project and Response.

data structure for Project and Response, and their relationship:

111111111.jpg

footnote #4 says: The first 4 characters of Resp_ID represent relevant Proj_ID.

Sample for Proj_ID: P001

Sample for Resp_ID: P00101.

How could I set up link to those two in SAS?

ballardw
Super User

My first attempt would involve the existing DBMS and see if there is a schema describer whatever they might call it that would have SQL code hiding what is done with Info_project and Response tables. If you can find SQL code there then that is likely relatively easy to translate to a SAS Proc SQL statement to do similar.

SAS doesn't, to my knowledge at least, maintain any sort of background connections that just happen to exist. They pretty much have to be explicitly stated, though that can be a pretty complex statement.

Some thing like this (using aliases to avoid LOTS of table references after the tables Info_project and Response have been created in a SAS library named Test)

proc sql;

create view test.project_response as

select a.*, b.*  /* some don't like use of * but this is example code*/

from test.Info_project as a join test.Response as b on a.Proj_id = substr(b.Resp_ID,1,4);

quit;

Would have view that could be accessed with all of the info in combined tables and updates if the tables are updated. The code except for the line with the "create view" could be used as a nested query involving further joins. Being a pessimist sort, I would test each piece and level before nesting the queries. The aliases at that point are not the best idea from a documentation point as the nesting levels increase.

TasteMyBiceps
Calcite | Level 5

Nice explanation. Help me a lot.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You cannot create this kind of constraint between tables in SAS. This represents really poor design. Why does Proj_ID take 10 characters if only 4 are needed? Why create a link based on substrings? Fix this (if you have the opportunity) by splitting the primary index in table Response into two fields.

PG

PG
TasteMyBiceps
Calcite | Level 5

This is really a good idea. Split them up.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why do you need to setup "relations" between the datasets?  Are you cleaning the data?  Are you trying to create a transactional  system using SAS?

Or do you just want to load a copy of the data that someone has sent you?  In the later case why would you need to create relations?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 7 in conversation