case

when calculated c3 > 0 then x**2

else 0

end

as x3

from F1;

quit;

The step creating F2 generates the error message:

ERROR: The following columns were not found as CALCULATED references in the immediate query: c2.

But the step creating F3 does not generate an error.

My example was simplified. In the real context, variable c would be replaced by a parameter's value, which could be a Boolean expression or a numeric variable. In either case, any value not being zero nor null would trigger a TRUE, otherwise a FALSE. This in principle works with a Boolean condition (which returns 1 for true, and 0 for false), except that PROC SQL does not c2 as a CALCULATED value. In fact, the alternative code

proc sql;

create table F2 as

select

nom,

(c) as c2,

case

when c2 > 0 then x**2  /* CALCULATED is not specified! */

else 0

end

as x2

from F1;

quit;

works. The problem is, I want a common codebase for both cases for my parameter.

5 REPLIES 5
AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi.

I think the issues is that in the first instance - code below, you are not CALCULATING anything, you are just saving c as c2....but if you were to use  sum(c) as c2, or whatever other function...then the newly created c2 variable would actually hold a calculated value.Do you know what I mean?

proc sql;

create table F2 as

select

nom,

(c) as c2, 

case

when calculated c2 > 0 then x**2

else 0

end

as x2

from F1;

quit;

I hope this helps.

bissjoe
Calcite | Level 5

I agree with you. It's only a copy of the value. But yet, since I want to allow for two possible syntaxes for my parameter, I would have liked to use a single code for managing the two syntaxes. Now, if I want to be robust, I will have to use

(c) + 0

just to make sure, but this does not seem to me very elegant, more a workaround.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The only other alternative I can see is to repeat the expression for calculating c2 twice in your query :

proc sql;

create table F2 as

select

nom,

<Expression> as c2, 
    case

when (<Expression>) > 0 then x**2

else 0

end

as x2

from F1;

quit;

It is not the pinnacle of elegance but it doesn't look like a quirky trick either, IMHO.

PG

PG
bissjoe
Calcite | Level 5

That is indeed one of the workarounds I consider. The other is to write

proc sql;

create table F3 as

select

nom,

(c)+0 as c3,

case

when calculated c3 > 0 then x**2

else 0

end

as x3

from F1;

quit;

I'm still not decided which I should choose. The second one has the (dubious?) advantage to be faster, since I do not have to evaluate again the value c, but it may be a very, very tiny performance penalty to use the second one (only very complex Boolean conditions would impede on performance).

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Forget the CALCULATED keyword, just repeat the expression.

(c) as c2, 

case

when (c) > 0 then x**2

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation