BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MarieBernadette
Calcite | Level 5

I am interested in running bootstrap for the mean estimate of repeated measures data. I came across the following SAS document by David Cassell which presents effective ways of running bootstrap for IID data. In the article it is mentioned that there are non-naïve version of bootstrap for repeated measure data however after a survey of the web I could not find any other SAS article on the topic. 

Can anyone provide me with some insight on how to proceed?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

What is the statistic of interest? Is this a one-way ANOVA design with repeated measures or something else?

The resampling can be efficient in the SAS/IML matrix language. Do you plan on using SAS/IML, or are you intending to use the DATA step?

In general, your bootstrap resampling should mimic the sampling design that collected the original data. Along with the statistic of interest, a description of your data would be helpful.

Here's an example:

Each of N subjects has his blood pressure taken every day for 5 days. In a simple bootstrap, you could do the following:

1. Center the data by subtracting the overall mean from each measurement.  (In an ANOVA, you would subtract the group means.)

2. The residuals are what you should bootstrap. 

3. Sample N subjects with replacement. Each subject contains 5 data points. Add those residual values to the overall mean or relevant group mean.

4. Compute the statistic of interest.

5. Go to (3) and repeat a large number of times. 

MarieBernadette
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the response. The design setting for the experiment I am working with is as follows:

A group of subjects were asked to complete a task in two different sites (A and B). Sites A and B differs mainly in terms of terrain.

Vitals  (blood pressure and breathing rate) of each subjects were taken during the completion of the task. At a given site, each subject was asked to traverse the site and repeated the same task 4 times. Hence each subject has four measurements of blood pressure and four measurement of breathing rate in a day. The experiment was repeated for 3 days in each site. 

I am interested in comparing the distribution of the vital means for site A and B that is I wish to conduct a one-way repeated measure ANOVA with site as the between subject factor and time as the within subject factor for each vital.

I do not want to make any distribution assumption about the vital means and was therefore looking to use the bootstrap method to reveal the distribution of the two means ( for site A and site B).

Thank you

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

So the same subjects repeated at each site?  Then if there were N subjects you should:

1. Select a subject at random with replacement.

2. Get their scores (all reps at both sites).

3. Repeat from 1 until a bootstrap sample of N subjects obtains.

4. Compute the test statistic for the repeated measure ANOVA.on the bootstrap sample

5. Repeat from 1 until B samples obtained and B test statistics calculated.

6. Use the bootstrap distribution of the test statistics to determine confidence intervals, standard errors, p values, etc

MarieBernadette
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much this is very helpful.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation