BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
grande44
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all, SAS noob here. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated. I have a large dataset that contains information about hundreds of thousands of employees. I did the following to get the percentage of the employees' sexes:

PROC FREQ data=CPAGroups;

tables Sex/ nocum;

RUN;

This is the result:

procfreq.PNG

These are my questions:

1. The 'Sex' variable is coded as '1' for male and '2' for female. How can I change these values within the  PROC FREQ step so that it displays the results with the labels 'Male' and 'Female' instead of 1 and 2?

2. How can I delete the 'Frequency' column? I am only interested in the 'Percent' of males/females.

3. Is it possible to insert a statement either in the log or in the Results Viewer that says "Women account for __% of employees.", where the calculated value of Percent for females is inserted into the "__%"?

Thank you so much for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The FORMAT statement assigns a format to a variable, so you need both in the statement:

format sex sexfmt.;

And you're right, the nofreq only works in crosstabulation tables. OTOH, the main purpose of PROC FREQ is the creation of counts, so no big surprise there.

If you want a heavily customized output, you're better off by creating an intermediate dataset and do the report from that. Like I did with PUTting the sentences into the log.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

1. For the formatting, there's at least two ways:

- you can replace the sex variable with another (type character) that holds the formatted values

- you can create a format that renders 'male' for 1 and 'female' for 2 and assing that to the sex variable

2. use the "nofreq" option in the tables statement

3. I'd output the results to a dataset and do something like this:

proc freq data=CPAGroups noprint;

tables sex /nocum nofreq out=want;

run;

proc format library=work;

value sex

1 = 'Men'

2 = 'Women'

;

run;

data _null_;

set want;

format sex sex.;

put sex @;

put 'account for '@;

put PERCENT 5.2@;

put '% of employees.';

run;

grande44
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I tried to use a PROC FORMAT statement:

PROCformat;

value sexfmt 1="Male" 2="Female";

RUN;

PROCFREQ data=CPAGroups;

tables sex / nofreq nocum;

format sexfmt.;

RUN;

SAS returns the following error in the log:

186  PROC FREQ data=CPAGroups;

187      tables sex / nofreq nocum;

188      format sexfmt.;

-------

ERROR
22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, _ALL_,
_CHARACTER_, _CHAR_,

_NUMERIC_.

ERROR
76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

189  RUN;

On top of that, when I run PROC FREQ even without the FORMAT statement, it still shows frequencies despite my use of "nofreq".

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The FORMAT statement assigns a format to a variable, so you need both in the statement:

format sex sexfmt.;

And you're right, the nofreq only works in crosstabulation tables. OTOH, the main purpose of PROC FREQ is the creation of counts, so no big surprise there.

If you want a heavily customized output, you're better off by creating an intermediate dataset and do the report from that. Like I did with PUTting the sentences into the log.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

A further option (though remember efficiency is built into SAS functions - this however could be run on the DB) is:

proc sql;

create table WORK.FREQ as

select  case  when A.SEX="M" then "Male"

else "Female" end as SEX,

A.NUM_OBS / B.NOBS * 100 as PERCENTAGE

from    (select SEX,count(SEX) as NUM_OBS from SASHELP.CLASSFIT group by SEX) A

left join (select NOBS from DICTIONARY.TABLES where LIBNAME="SASHELP" and MEMNAME="CLASSFIT") B

on      1=1;

quit;

bharathtuppad
Obsidian | Level 7

data a;
input gen;
cards;
;

proc format ;
value gender 1="Female"
             2="Male";
run;

proc freq data=a;
table gen;
format gen gender.;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation