BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
raivester
Quartz | Level 8

I have a variable  that is string but contains all numeric values. Examples of values include: 51, 200, 10511. I want to keep this a string variable, but have leading 0s that make each value 6 characters--specifically, such that the former values become 000051, 000200, and 010511. Can anyone help think of an elegant way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have a variable  that is string but contains all numeric values. 

This is really poorly worded. A SAS variable is either numeric or character. It doesn't matter if it "contains all numeric values", it still can be either numeric or character.

Assuming you mean your variable is NUMERIC:

Use the Z. format. Example:

data a;
    y=50232;
    z=put(y,z6.);
run;

--
Paige Miller
raivester
Quartz | Level 8

Sorry--I meant that my variable is character (although  each value contains only digits). I want to make it such that they all have a length of 6, by adding leading 0s to those with a length that has fewer than 6 characters (which is all values). I want the resultant variable to remain character.

RichardDeVen
Barite | Level 11
data want;
length z $6;
do z = '1', '22', '333', '4444', '55555', '666666', 'A';
zs = substr('000000' || left(z), length(left(z))+1);
output;
end;
run;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

This is a frequently asked question.

If you are positive the string form valid integers of less than 15 digits then you can first convert the string to a number and convert it back to string using the Z format so that leading zeros are written.  Integers longer than that cannot be continuously exactly represented as numbers in SAS because it use floating point numbers.  The INPUT() function doesn't care if you use too long a width on the informat and the normal numeric informat has a maximum width of 32.

string=put(input(string,32.),Z6.);

Otherwise calculate the length and prefix the needed number of 0 digits. There are a lots of ways to do that. Here is one using the REPEAT() function to generate the string of zeros that is pretty easy to understand. If the length is already 6 (or greater) then you don't need any extra characters. Otherwise you will need to add (6-length of the string) number of zeros. The repeat function count argument requires 1 less than the length you want (think of it as the number or EXTRA times to repeat the pattern).

if length(string)<6 then string=cats(repeat('0',6-length(string)-1),string);

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

Yet another way to do this:

string=translate(right(string),'0',' ');

This assumes that the string is defined with length 6. If not, you can use the SUBSTR function:

string=translate(right(substr(string,1,6)),'0',' ');

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation