BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
acordes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I run into an error while assigning a scalar with the loc function. 

Everything works fine until I do not meet the condition in the loc.

Break_even = MIN(loc(result > 0));

This returns the month when the project breaks even. But if the project fails to do so, the code stops executing because the matrix Break_even isn't set. 

I use this inside a Do Loop and I have tried to control this situation with If-then. 

without success so far. 

How do I handle situations like this?

Thank you for your help, bye, Arne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

OR Try any()

if any(result > 0) then Break_even = MIN(loc(result > 0));

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

using the LOC function as an index without checking that the return value is nonempty is jokingly called "using a naked loc". Read about the naked loc and how to test for the condition.

The typically usage is

idx = loc(result > 0);

if ncol(idx) > 0 then 

Break_even = min(idx);

else

/* handle the case where no result is positive */

How you handle the empty result is up to you. You might assign a missing value, abort the program, assign a default value, and so forth.

acordes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Thank you very much.

I have applied your proposal 

BUT I still get the error message 

ERROR: ELSE does not follow IF statement at line=...

ERROR: END does not occur within DO group at line...

As I had mentioned, I use it within a Do Loop and making use of a SUBMIT statement I call SGPLOT to produce 64 graphs according to my different scenerios. It works perfectly except this abort when the there's no break even 🙂

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The errors indicate that you did not implement the IF-THEN/ELSE condition correctly.  If you post the relevant portion of your log, someone will be able to find the mistake.

Ksharp
Super User

OR Try any()

if any(result > 0) then Break_even = MIN(loc(result > 0));
acordes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Thank you.

It works except when I run an if-then statement within a do-loop.

Do I have to obey something special when I place an if-then logic within a do-loop?

The do-loop executes fine without if-then and the same is true for the inverse.

But both togehther gives error.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

No, the syntax for an IF-THEN statement inside a DO loop is the same as outside.  You might have missing or mismatched DO-END statements.

Please post the portion of the SAS log that gives the source and error messages. 

IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

If you know the size of the matrix result, or can easily work it out,  then another way might be to use CHOOSE.  Here I am assuming result is a row vector with 12 elements, one for each month.

b = min( choose(result>0, 1:12, . ));

I was thinking I would get a missing value returned when all the elements of result are negative, however I get the largest representable floating point.    This is in 13.1

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

@IanWakeling Since the MIN function ignores missing values, you are getting the default initialized value, as documented. See the second paragraph of the doc of the MIN function.

IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

Thanks Rick.   I should have checked the docs more carefully.  I think I will stop there, as adding something like

if b < constant('BIG') then...

will start to look very confusing.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

An easier-to-read version might be 

if all(result=.) then 
   handle_all_missing;
else
   b = min(...);

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation