BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mazen
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I have a function of two parameters alpha and beta, I found the MLEs for these two parameters. I have then to create a function of beta only which I need to solve

then use the result to find alpha.  I used bisection method to solve for beta. My problem is that the answer doesn't seem to be alright it always choose the upper limit i.e. every time I change the boundary

I get different solution (  if the interval (a=0.75, b=1.5) then the answer is 1.499999 and if  (a=0.75, b=1) then the answer is 0.99999 and so on. The MLE for the same problem using the same data set has been computed to be 0.9900573, and the true value=1 ). I can't plot the function using the lineplot because I have an old version of SAS, but I picked the (a,b) interval to be around the MLE which is known as I said from previous code. I highly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

my code is attached below

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

In your program, the target is 8. The function you are trying to find the root of is Func(B) = W(B) - target.  This function does not have a root on the interval.  Plot it and you will see that  Func(B) < 0 for all B > 0.

Func(B) does have a root near -2.5.

Maybe  Func is implemented incorrectly, or you have specified the target incorrectly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

In your program, the target is 8. The function you are trying to find the root of is Func(B) = W(B) - target.  This function does not have a root on the interval.  Plot it and you will see that  Func(B) < 0 for all B > 0.

Func(B) does have a root near -2.5.

Maybe  Func is implemented incorrectly, or you have specified the target incorrectly.

Mazen
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much Rick

you were absolutely correct the target was incorrectly specified.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation