BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MDaniel
Obsidian | Level 7

I need to look-up the values from matrix 'a' in the first column of matrix 'b' and return the values in the second column of matrix 'b' to a new matrix named 'c'. The rows in matrix 'b' are a key-value pairs, basically.

This code achieves that, but I would like to know whether there is a vectorized aproach to this instead of a do loop.

proc iml;
	a = {100 202 303,
		107 200 303,
		101 205 302,
		102 200 300};

b = {100 1,
		101 8,
		102 1,
		104 6,
		107 4,
		108 9,
		200 4,
		202 6,
		205 2,
		300 10,
		301 5,
		302 2,
		303 8,
		304 10};

/*the Do LOOP way*/
	c = j(4,3,.);

do i = 1 to 4;
		do j = 1 to 3;
			idx = loc(b[,1] = a[i,j]);
			c[i,j] = b[idx,2];
		end;
	end;

print c;
quit;

The expected output in matrix 'c':

c 
1 6 8 
4 4 8 
8 2 2 
1 4 10 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Ian deduced the problem correctly. I assumed that the number of elements that match was always NCOL(a).. In your random data, that assumption does not hold. If you need to handle the case where there are fewer elements that match than there are columns of a, use the following:

do i = 1 to nrow(a);
   idx = loc( element(b[,1], a[i,]) ); /* location of elements in b[,1] that match a[i,] */
   if ncol(idx)>0 then 
      c[i,1:ncol(idx)] = T( b[idx,2] );     /* copy elements from b[,2] */
end;

If you can have MORE elements that match than columns of a, then you either need to truncate the results to NCOL(a) elements of make some other modification.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes. You want to use the ELEMENT function to find the vector of locations in b[,1] that match the elements in a[i,] for each row of a.

You can read about the LOC-ELEMENT technique in the article "Finding observations that satisfy multiple conditions: The LOC-ELEMENT technique"

c = j(nrow(a),ncol(a),.);
do i = 1 to nrow(a);
   idx = loc( element(b[,1], a[i,]) ); /* location of elements in b[,1] that match a[i,] */
   c[i,] = T( b[idx,2] );     /* copy elements from b[,2] */
end;
print c;
MDaniel
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for you answer, Rick.

I am trying to extend and test your solution for a larger number of rows and columns for matrix 'a' and I ran into a problem. For 100 rows nad 5 columns, I receive this error: ERROR: (execution) Matrices do not conform to the operation.

Please see below for code that generates some random data - I'm still not fully familiar with ELEMENT function, but I can't find anything wrong with the code.

proc iml;

rows = 100;
	cols = 5; 

min = 100;
	max = 1000;
	call randseed(555);

a = j(rows,cols,.); 
	call randgen(a, "Uniform"); /*  ~ U(0,1) */
	a = min + floor( (1+Max-Min)*a );

x1 = min:max;
	x1 = shape(x1,max-min+1,1);
	x2 = j(max-min+1,1,.);
	call randgen(x2, "Uniform"); /*  ~ U(0,1) */
	x2 = 10 + floor( (1+50-10)*x2 );

b = x1||x2;

/*vectorization*/
	c = j(nrow(a),ncol(a),.);

do i = 1 to nrow(a);
		c[i,] = T( b[idx,2] );     /* copy elements from b[,2] */
	end;

quit;
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

I think Rick's solution assumed that each row of the matrix a, has unique key values that are strictly increasing.  If that's likely to be true for your real data set, then you may still be OK.

MDaniel
Obsidian | Level 7

I've identified the problem - if a value appears more than once per line in matrix 'a', the error will be generated. The real dataset definitely has distinct values per row, so this will work.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Ian deduced the problem correctly. I assumed that the number of elements that match was always NCOL(a).. In your random data, that assumption does not hold. If you need to handle the case where there are fewer elements that match than there are columns of a, use the following:

do i = 1 to nrow(a);
   if ncol(idx)>0 then 
      c[i,1:ncol(idx)] = T( b[idx,2] );     /* copy elements from b[,2] */
end;

If you can have MORE elements that match than columns of a, then you either need to truncate the results to NCOL(a) elements of make some other modification.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation