BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
anthonywang
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi:

I have a file of code that works fine when I run it on my desktop.

But this kind of "Unknown error" occurs when I run it on my laptop which is Windows 10.

I am kinda sure this is not caused by my code, but I don't know how to deal with it.

I tried to re-install the SAS, but it still occurs.

The return code is rc=6, which stands for "SAS internal error". Does this mean this is really caused by SAS software? 

Could anyone help me with any advise or solution, please?

The code is long but I will post it if it is necessary.

Thank ahead!

Capture.PNG

11 REPLIES 11
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Serious errors like this are best progressed by SAS Tech Support. Please raise a track if you haven't done so already.

anthonywang
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot, I will submit the problem to SAS.

Reeza
Super User

Any code that works in one system but not another and isn't related to file paths should likely be reported to SAS Tech Support. 

It's possible you have different versions and one is catching a newer error, but your best bet is to check with SAS directly. 

There's definitely nothing we can do without the code as well. 

@anthonywang wrote:

Hi:

I have a file of code that works fine when I run it on my desktop.

But this kind of "Unknown error" occurs when I run it on my laptop which is Windows 10.

I am kinda sure this is not caused by my code, but I don't know how to deal with it.

I tried to re-install the SAS, but it still occurs.

The return code is rc=6, which stands for "SAS internal error". Does this mean this is really caused by SAS software? 

Could anyone help me with any advise or solution, please?

The code is long but I will post it if it is necessary.

Thank ahead!

Capture.PNG

anthonywang
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your response, I will reporting my problem to SAS.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

This is a known problem in some versions of the Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL), which SAS/IML uses to accelerate certain computations. I think it was first noticed in SAS/IML 14.3 and 15.1. It seems to be data dependent and occurs with large matrices when the KML tries to multithread certain computations. Sometimes changing the order of operations (by using temporary variables and rearranging the computation) can make the problem go away, but I don't have any general advice that can make the problem go away all the time.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Actually, I might have some general advice. Because this is a problem with multithreading large computations, you can turn off the multithreading by using 

options NOTHREADS;

proc iml;

<program goes here>

quit;

options THREADS;

Unfortunately, this will result in a loss of performance. How much performance is lost depending on how many threads are being used and the kinds of computations in the program. For straight matrix multiplication, the program might take 2-4 times longer.

anthonywang
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Rick, it is data dependent. I will try to turn off the multi threading.

Thank you for your help!

stevehillis
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Rick,

I had the same problem and your solution did work, but it definitely was a lot slower!  Pehaps there will be a better fix in the future? But at least for right now, I'm glad to know how to fix it and that it wasn't my error.

Thanks.

Steve

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Thanks for writing. SAS has updated the version of the MKL in SAS 9.4M7 (due out in late 2020) and the problem does not occur on the test cases that we know about. Also, SAS customers who use SAS Viya do not have this problem, since Viya uses a newer version of the MKL.

stevehillis
Fluorite | Level 6
Great -- thanks for doing that and letting me know so quickly!!
-Steve
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If the problem is solved, could you mark one of the answers and close the thread? Thanks.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 5 in conversation