BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
seyifemickael
Calcite | Level 5

I am interesting to simulate data nature for Small area estimations. However how can I write sas/IML

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

First, I suggest you read the paper "Small Area Estimation for Survey Data Analysis Using SAS Software"
(Mukhopadhyay and McDowell, 2011) which uses mixed models for SAE.

After you settle on an explicit statistical model, which includes assumptions about the spatial covariance among the small areas, then you can start researching how to simulate from that model by using standard techniques such as are described in Chapter 12 of Simulating Data with SAS (Wicklin, 2013).

This topic is large and complicated, so you should discuss it with your advisor, mentor, or manager.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please describe the problem in a lot more detail.

Also, why does this have to be done in PROC IML?

--
Paige Miller
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

@seyifemickael Welcome to the SAS Community 🙂

You have to describe your problem in much more detail than this. What is the problem? What have you tried already? 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

First, I suggest you read the paper "Small Area Estimation for Survey Data Analysis Using SAS Software"
(Mukhopadhyay and McDowell, 2011) which uses mixed models for SAE.

After you settle on an explicit statistical model, which includes assumptions about the spatial covariance among the small areas, then you can start researching how to simulate from that model by using standard techniques such as are described in Chapter 12 of Simulating Data with SAS (Wicklin, 2013).

This topic is large and complicated, so you should discuss it with your advisor, mentor, or manager.

seyifemickael
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. I have read the paper "Small
Area Estimation for Survey Data Analysis Using SAS Software" (Mukhopadhyay
and McDowell, 2011) which uses mixed models for SAE and again an idea. The
paper did the real data case for both unit level and area level SAE.
However, my interest is how to simulate those covariates as well as the
data.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

To simulate the data, you need to specify the data generating mechanism for the spatial data. You also need an estimate of the spatial covariance matrix, which you can get from analyzing the real data that you are trying to simulate.

For a Gaussian random field, you can use the SIM2D procedure, which supports the SIMULATE statement. The documentation includes several examples.

In Chapter 14 of Simulating Data with SAS, discusses several spatial models, including

1. Simulate data from a Gaussian random field (unconditional or conditional)

2. Simulate data fro a spatial point process

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation