BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Daniel_Paul
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I have a block matrix of the form A = {A1, A2, ..., AN} with symmetric matrices A1, .., AN each of the same order 9*9 (N could be as large as 400). I want to shape the matrix in the block-diagonal form B = {C 0 0, 0 D 0, ..., 0 0 E} with matrices of the form C = {2A1 A1 A1, A1 2A1 A1, A1 A1 2A1} and D and E of the same form with A2 vs. AN instead of A1. If I allow loops, I can figure out a solution, but I try to avoid loops. Any suggestions?

Bye, Daniel 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Use Kronecker products to construct the C, D, and E matrices from A1, A2, and A3.

Use the BLOCK function to get the block diagonal matrix of C, D, and E.

proc iml;
N = 3;
N2 = N*(N+1)/2;
A1 = sqrsym(1:N2);
A2 = sqrsym(N2:1);

M = j(N, N, 1) + I(N);
C = M @ A1;
D = M @ A2;
print C, D;

B = block(C, D);
print B;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Use Kronecker products to construct the C, D, and E matrices from A1, A2, and A3.

Use the BLOCK function to get the block diagonal matrix of C, D, and E.

proc iml;
N = 3;
N2 = N*(N+1)/2;
A1 = sqrsym(1:N2);
A2 = sqrsym(N2:1);

M = j(N, N, 1) + I(N);
C = M @ A1;
D = M @ A2;
print C, D;

B = block(C, D);
print B;
Daniel_Paul
Obsidian | Level 7

I see the principal idee, but N can be large, so I have to loop in the block part. I try to avoid that loop.

proc iml;
p = 3;
N = 2;

start TBlock(AN, p); 
M = j(p,p,1) + I(p);
C = M @ AN;
return (C);
finish TBlock;

start AD(N, A, p);
t = 1;
do rs=1 to N;
	B = A[t:(t+2),];
	BB = TBlock(B, p);
	AF = block(AF, BB);
	t = t + p;
end;
return (AF);
finish AD;

A1 = {1 2 3, 
	  2 4 5,
      3 5 7};
A2 = {1 7 9,
	  7 8 1,
	  9 1 1};

AC = A1//A2;

AF = AD(N, AC, p);

print AF;
quit;
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

It looks too complicated to be able to avoid the loop.  What might be slowing things down, is the fact that you are 'growing' the matrix AF by steps within the loop.  After each iteration a new version of AF is declared, and ever more data needs to be moved around in memory.  It would be more efficient to declare AF as a zero matrix, at it's final size, before the loop, and then write the block diagonal sub-matrices using row and column indexing.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation