BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ytz
Calcite | Level 5 ytz
Calcite | Level 5

Is the Apply function multi-threaded?

More generally, what is multi-threaded in IML?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The documentation for the APPLY function says

"Although the APPLY function is provided as a convenience, it is usually unnecessary to use it. It is often more efficient to write your functions to take vector, rather than scalar, arguments."

I agree: multithreaded or not, it is more efficient to vectorize your code. In general, well written vectorized code that uses matrix and vector computations will give you the most performance. When possible, avoid writing loops that iterate over the rows and columns of matrices.

I've written several blogs (and a book) about how to vectorize SAS/IML programs. Here are two Getting Started articles:

How to vectorize computations in a matrix language - The DO Loop

http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2013/05/22/timing-performance-vectorization/

Some matrix operations in IML are multithreaded, but I don't think there is a list anywhere that documents which functions are multithreaded.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation