BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bhfield
Calcite | Level 5

On page 130 of Dr. Wicklin's text, it describes a Multinomial Distribution.  I am unclear on the "with replacement" context. 

Let's assume there are 50 black socks, 20 brown socks, and 30 white socks in a drawer.

Now, let's assume that 50 socks are drawn with replacement.  Are these socks taken all at once? Or are there 50 drawings of 1 sock at a time? 

This is important because in the former, you could not pick more than 20 brown socks in any one multi-nomial result whereas if drawing 1 sock at time (with replacement), you could end up with 0 black, 50 brown, and 0 white socks in a single multi-nomial draw.

Just want to make sure I understand this basic idea.  I assume the 50 socks are taken all at once and then replaced all at once and reshuffled before the next draw,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The phrase "draw N items with replacement" means that you

1) draw an item and record its value

2) replace the item and thouroughly shuffle/mix the items

3) Go to (1) until N items have been recorded.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

AFAIK with replacemenr implies 1 at a time, with 50 selections total.

Perhaps can explain further though.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The phrase "draw N items with replacement" means that you

1) draw an item and record its value

2) replace the item and thouroughly shuffle/mix the items

3) Go to (1) until N items have been recorded.

Reeza
Super User

Just to add - a possibly naive interpretation of the terminology.

A Bernoulli experiment is a single trial of pass/fail, while a Binomial is Bernoulli repeated multiple times, i.e. the 1 at a time rule.  The Multinomial is then an extension of the Binomial with the same terminology being used.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation