BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
katiexyz
Calcite | Level 5

Hii,

I used Proc NLMIXED for a non linear model, and wanted to talk about how it 'finds' the parameter estimates with maximum likelihood.

So I thought I'd look at a simple example: finding the mean and variance of a normally distributed variable "r".

I used Proc NLMIXED and found the variable is N(-0.6458, 0.4080^2), as I expected. The "NegLogLike" appears to be 62.6976.

I then used Proc IML to find the same information, with the desire to make a plot of "what's happening" as in http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2011/10/12/maximum-likelihood-estimation-in-sasiml/

I did all this successfully (or so I thought) and made a pretty plot, then compared the output and realised I found my variable  r ~ N(-0.6458, 0.4080^2) as desired, but "Value of Objective Function = 47.575023947" which I expected to be 62.6... as above.

I have used the same optimisation technique each time - Dual Quasi-Newton - so I don't see what I'm doing wrong or where the differences can be attributed to?

Can anyone please help me? (That's you Ricky <333 hahah)

Thanks,

Katie xx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

I think the main problem is that you have missed out the factor of 2 pi in the log-likelihood function.  If I substitute:

f = - n # log(2 # constant('pi') # sigma2) /2 - ssq(c) / (2 # sigma2);

in the LogLik module then I get an iteration history from NLPQN that very closely matches the NLMIXED output.  There are other issues, the code you posted generates errors in the log, but these are related to some lines of code following the 'close' statement that can be deleted from the program.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

I think the main problem is that you have missed out the factor of 2 pi in the log-likelihood function.  If I substitute:

f = - n # log(2 # constant('pi') # sigma2) /2 - ssq(c) / (2 # sigma2);

in the LogLik module then I get an iteration history from NLPQN that very closely matches the NLMIXED output.  There are other issues, the code you posted generates errors in the log, but these are related to some lines of code following the 'close' statement that can be deleted from the program.

katiexyz
Calcite | Level 5

Amazing, thanks, I didn't notice that! I will have a look after my breakfast Smiley Happy  thanks so much  x

Update- just ran it- perfect! Really grateful, thank you Smiley Happy

Update again.... results were slighly different... added  update=DBFGS ; to my NLMIXED statement and it's now identical. Two days wasted on this! So glad to see matching numbers!

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

This is a common problem. Different software programs sometimes uses different forms of the ML function (usually some variation of the log-likelihood) to optimize. You can drop constants and multiplicative factors without changing the solution. For example, if LL is the log-likelihood function, then -2*LL,  -LL, and -2*LL+const  all give the same solutions, but report different values for the "Value of the objective function."

For that matter, we use the log-likelihood because it gives the same solution as optimizing the liklihood function, but is more stable numerically.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation