BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed

Language solutions integrating African Languages

Started ‎02-24-2021 by
Modified ‎10-20-2022 by
Views 790

Cameroon etranslate

African language has been neglected for far long, My name is Swi Innocent Che, closely assisted by Mafor Anna Ngwenyi and together we are Cameroon eTranslate. We offer translation, transcription, summarization, and text generation services to several African Language linguists.

As an African, I love to protect my identity and preserve our cultural expression, but as it stands, UNESCO tells us Africa has about 1000 languages, and at least 200  have less than 500 speakers. For a language to be alive we need at least 100000 speakers.

Ethnologue says Cameroon has over 283 languages, 274 are living 17 are dying, 9 are extinct and the majority remain undocumented.

It is our mission to develop solutions integrating our languages and save our identity.

Team Name Cameroon eTranslate
Track Data for Good
Use Case African Language solutions
Technology Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Region EMEA
Team lead SWI INNOCENT CHE
Team members MAFOR ANNA NGWENYI

Comments

Équipe Cameroun eTranslate,

J'ai passé deux ans au Gabon en tant que volontaire du Corps de la Paix. Malheureusement, je n'ai pas pu apprendre un dialecte tribal pendant mon séjour car j'ai d'abord dû apprendre le français. Votre projet résonne avec moi et je suis ravi de voir les résultats de votre travail.

Bonne chance!

--Joe

Translation

Cameroon eTranslate team,

I spent two years in Gabon as a Peace Corps volunteer. Unfortunately, I was unable to learn a tribal dialect during my stay as I had to learn French first. Your project resonates with me and I am excited to see the results of your work.

Good luck!

--Joe

That's a great initiative! Native languages have been lost in many other geos/parts of the world.  It may be too late to even find natives who can speak those languages in some of them but hopefully your activity and results will prompt similar activities elsewhere.  

Simple and Great Idea!

Version history
Last update:
‎10-20-2022 12:09 PM
Updated by:
Contributors

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Article Tags