BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Levi_M
Fluorite | Level 6

I am using proc autoreg in SAS to conduct an ITS analysis and I have a question about stationarity. Proc autoreg is able to perform the augmented dickey-fuller (ADF), the phillips-person (PP), and the KPSS test for stationarity. I believe I have a good understanding of the difference in their interpretations.

My question is whether I test for stationarity across the interruption. For example, if I had a 36 month study period with an interruption at month 25, would I look at stationarity as separate parts (months 1-24 and 25-36) or as a whole (1-36)? My thought process is, that the interruption would likely cause it not to be stationary and thus ran separately.

Thank you for the clarification

Code I am using below, but this seemed more of a statistical approach logic rather than a code question:

proc autoreg data=one;
    model outcome = /stationarity=(kpss=(kernel=qs auto))stationarity=(phillips);
where  1<= month <= 24;
run;  

1 REPLY 1
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

I have moved your question to the "SAS Forecasting and Econometrics" - board.

Stationarity is never an end in itself (an objective in itself).

The interruption / structural break in your time series will indeed probably break the -- possibly present -- stationarity as well (since "stationarity" means that the statistical properties of a time series -- or rather the process generating it -- do not change over time)

But the question is : do you need to address non-stationarity?
OK , stationarity is important because many useful analytical tools and statistical tests and models rely on it. But what is your end-goal? What do want to achieve?

Koen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation