BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
parmis
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I'm trying to forecast a variable for the next 36 months. my actual data has  seasonality but it is constant at the same time. I was using the following method to forecast for 12 month and I was happy with the result, but when I expand my lead time to 36 the numbers increase for the second year. Is there a way to modify the code to make the forecast constant? (the variable amount is always in the range of 100000-110000)

proc esm data=have out=want lead=36;

id date interval=month;

forecast amount/ model=addwinters transform=log;

run;

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
parmis
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I'm trying to forecast a variable for the next 36 months. my actual data has  seasonality but it is constant at the same time. I was using the following method to forecast for 12 month and I was happy with the result, but when I expand my lead time to 36 the numbers increase for the second year. Is there a way to modify the code to make the forecast constant? (the variable amount is always in the range of 100000-110000)

proc esm data=have out=want lead=36;

id date interval=month;

forecast amount/ model=addwinters transform=log;

run;

Thank you!

imvash
SAS Employee

Your question is vague. The statement "my actual data has seasonality but it is constant at the same time" does not make sense to me. Do you mean there's no obvious increasing/decreasing "trend" in your data? How many historical observations do you have? In my opinion, the best practice is to have a holdout region to diagnose the best model among ARIMA and ESM by using HPFDIAGNOSE procedure, instead of fitting only "addwinters" esm model.

parmis
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, that's what I meant. My data is always in the range of 30000 to 45000, but there is a repeated monthly pattern. ex:the numbers drop every February, April and June.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation