BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
eemrun
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to run a var model in sas using Proc Varmax and am struggling to interpret the covariance of innovation matrix. The following is the output for the matrix

Covariances of Innovations Variable CPI UMP GDP HPI
CPI0.26246-0.008780.00407-0.00069
UMP-0.008780.06139-0.014080.00033
GDP0.00407-0.014080.094070.00089
HPI-0.000690.000330.000890.00018

Any help or guide towards any material would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Christian5
SAS Employee

From what I understood, you have 4 dependent variables that you are modeling jointly: CPI, UMP, GDP, HPI.

Presumably the model is characterized by an autoregressive/moving average part (for example the lags of CPI, UMP, GDP, HPI) and by an innovation term. 

The innovation term is a 4x1 vector which is assumed to follow a normal distribution with mean (0,0,0,0)' and a variance/covariance  matrix of dimensions 4x4. I believe that the covariance that you are referring to is the estimate of the variance/covariance matrix of the innovation term. For example:

0.26246 is the variance of the innovation term associated with the equation whose dependent variable is CPI.

-0.00878 is the covariance between the innovation term associated with the CPI dependent variable equation and the innovation term associated with the UMP dependent variable equation.

Hopefully this is what you were looking for.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Christian5
SAS Employee

From what I understood, you have 4 dependent variables that you are modeling jointly: CPI, UMP, GDP, HPI.

Presumably the model is characterized by an autoregressive/moving average part (for example the lags of CPI, UMP, GDP, HPI) and by an innovation term. 

The innovation term is a 4x1 vector which is assumed to follow a normal distribution with mean (0,0,0,0)' and a variance/covariance  matrix of dimensions 4x4. I believe that the covariance that you are referring to is the estimate of the variance/covariance matrix of the innovation term. For example:

0.26246 is the variance of the innovation term associated with the equation whose dependent variable is CPI.

-0.00878 is the covariance between the innovation term associated with the CPI dependent variable equation and the innovation term associated with the UMP dependent variable equation.

Hopefully this is what you were looking for.

eemrun
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for that explanation! I should have been clearer so apologies. I am fitting a VAR model with those variables.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation