BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am trying to get a cross-correlogram between stock returns and trading volumes and run across PROC ARIMA. I wonder how does PROC ARIMA know which variable is the time variable? In PROC TIMESERIES or PROC EXPAND, we have to specify a time variable with an ID statement, and if there are many groups (in my case, stocks), we have to specify a BY statement.

Does PROC ARIMA assume there are only 1 group and the data is already sorted by time sequence?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dw_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @somebody 

PROC ARIMA assumes the data are equally-spaced and sorted sequentially over time, therefore, a time ID variable is not required to compute the cross-correlations.  If you have gaps in the data, then these gaps should be filled in with missing values (or some other value of your choosing) prior to running the procedure in order to preserve the correct spacing between observations.  

PROC ARIMA supports a BY statement so you can perform a separate analysis for each BY group.  Within each BY group, PROC ARIMA assumes the data is equally-spaced and sorted sequentially over time.

I hope this helps!

DW

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ksharp
Super User
Please post it at Forecasting Forum.
dw_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @somebody 

PROC ARIMA assumes the data are equally-spaced and sorted sequentially over time, therefore, a time ID variable is not required to compute the cross-correlations.  If you have gaps in the data, then these gaps should be filled in with missing values (or some other value of your choosing) prior to running the procedure in order to preserve the correct spacing between observations.  

PROC ARIMA supports a BY statement so you can perform a separate analysis for each BY group.  Within each BY group, PROC ARIMA assumes the data is equally-spaced and sorted sequentially over time.

I hope this helps!

DW

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation