BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
andreas_zaras
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I have a dependent variable and an independent variable that is continous. I am using the automatic model generation facility in Forecast Server and the software ends up with a dynamic regression model. In the scenario analysis view i can see that the software has predicted future values for the independent variable that seem to be like a linear trend or a moving average of the past values of the variable (independednt). Then the dependent variable is forecasted based on this trend or moving average of the independent variable. Is there a way that i can tell Forecast Server to use a time series model (like ARIMA or smoothing) to predict the independent variable and based on this to predict the dependent through the regression model? What i am doing until, now is first to forecast the independent variable using time series models (ARIMA or smoothing) and then add this values to the end of the data set with the dependent variabe's values as missing.Then i fit the (regression) model and i create a scenario. The forecasted values for the independent variabe are now the forecasts from the time series model (e.g. ARIMA or smoothing) and the forecasted values of the dependent variable are produced by the regression model.
Thnaks in advance,
Andreas
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello Andreas -

If you don't provide future values of independent variables, they are automatically forecast using one of the following smoothing models:

• simple
  • double
  • linear
  • damped trend
  • seasonal
  • Winters method (additive and multiplicative)

On the other hand, if you provide future values of your independent variables (similar to what you describe), these values will be taken into account.

Thanks,

Udo

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello Andreas -

If you don't provide future values of independent variables, they are automatically forecast using one of the following smoothing models:

• simple
  • double
  • linear
  • damped trend
  • seasonal
  • Winters method (additive and multiplicative)

On the other hand, if you provide future values of your independent variables (similar to what you describe), these values will be taken into account.

Thanks,

Udo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation