BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
palmaj
Calcite | Level 5

Hello. I am using the PROC VARMAX procedure to run DCC GARCH. As per userguide: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/etscdc/14.2/etsug/etsug_varmax_gettingstarted10.htm

Code below. I am trying to find either a table/vector output or a plot of the conditional correlation series that is generated by the process. I have tried Plots=All in the proc statement and printall in the model statement to no avail. It's not clear that ODS has this chart/table either?

Thank you

/*--- DCC ---*/

proc varmax data=indices outest=oedcc outcov;
   model rDJIA rSP500 / noint;
   garch p=1 q=1 form=dcc outht=ohdcc;
run;
3 REPLIES 3
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

What version of SAS are you using?

Are you using SAS/ETS 14.2 (your help link is for 14.2)?

After SAS/ETS 14.2 a plot of the dynamic correlations was added to the VARMAX procedure (and also you can output the dynamic correlations to a data set via an ODS OUTPUT statement). 

This was still experimental in SAS/ETS 15.2 (SAS 9.4 M7) , but I guess it's no longer experimental in SAS VIYA (or even SAS 9.4 M8).

In PROC VARMAX , put plots=(CONDCORR).

CONDCORR

produces dynamic conditional covariance plots. This option is available only when the DCC GARCH model is specified.

The ODS output dataset is : 

DCCCorrConstant Unconditional correlation matrix in the DCC GARCH model CORRCONSTANT=EXPECT with FORM=DCC

If you are indeed on SAS/ETS 14.2, you can reach out to SAS Technical Support in your country.
They have a program to calculate (and plot) all this starting from the (time-varying) conditional covariance matrix :

outht=ohdcc;

Cheers,

Koen

palmaj
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. Very good point. I'm on an older version - 9.4 M3 (I think). This code delivers an error message. Perhaps even slightly before this was even in test phase?

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

I see CONDCORR is still experimental, even in the latest SAS release (which does not mean that it doesn't work properly of course).

See here :

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_033/etsug/etsug_varmax_syntax02.htm

So, you have 2 possibilities :
- upgrading your SAS

- reaching out to SAS Technical Support. They have a data step that calculates what you need based on outht= data set.

Good luck,

Koen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation